May rose

< Previous | Next >

entrapta

Italian
may rose

I know this isn't a gardening forum but I'd like to give it a try, maybe there's someone among you fond of gardening. This is the passage: "Starting at the foot of the hill, a drive ran steeply half way up to the house, and then turned abruptly and proceed on the top. Edwin had cypresses, as large as would be transplanting, placed along the outer edge of it, and I May roses, the small, pink, single rose, that blooms nearly all the year round, planted at their feet, and a thick band of iris inside them. They grew beautifully; in some months, there was a firm line of pink and lavender all along the base of the warm, dark cypress green...". It refers to a May rose which is most likely a common name. I'm trying to find out, on behalf of someone else, what kind of rose that could have been, in order to provide a precise translation (not the botanical name of course) in italian. I know there may be thousands of may roses but if it sounds familiar to someone then there may be a chance that we can trace it. Thanks.

• infinite sadness

italiano
    Ho trovato che il nome scientifico della rosa di maggio è "rosa centifolia".
    A parte questo, io penso che "May rose" possa tradursi con "rosa maggiauiola".

entrapta

Italian
    Ah grazie... maggiaiuola non l'avevo mai sentito. Però centifolia mi piace, non suona troppo botanicamente astruso. Riferirò, grazie. PS pare che il pezzo sia stato scritto da Gertrude Jeckille (pare) e dovrebbe fare riferimento a un suo giardino, se solo l'inquirer si decidesse a farsi vivo. MOmento però: la centifolia non credo sia a fiore semplice...

< Previous | Next >