Maybe I should

J352SAURUS

English
Hello everyone,

I work in a department store in the fitting rooms. I'm chatting to my friend about the problems I'm having at work. I'm talking about the lack of staff in my department and how that means I often don't get to take my break, and also how the managers don't care, and I ask rhetorically what I should do about it. I'm trying to say:

Am I supposed to just leave the fitting rooms unattended? Maybe I should. If they don’t care, then why should I?

I'm mainly having trouble with the phrase "Maybe I should", but I'm also having a bit of trouble with "Then why should I?" I feel like they are similar constructions. This is my attempt:

Devo solo lasciare incustoditi i camerini? Forse dovrei farlo. Se non si interessano, allora perché dovrei interessarmi?

I feel like it would be incomplete to just say "Forse dovrei" for "Maybe I should". I have to specify what I should be doing, right? In this case, maybe I should (just leave the fitting rooms unattended so I can go on break). Maybe I should (do it). Forse dovrei farlo. No?

Thanks for your help!

• Necsus

Italian (Italy)
    If you use dovrei in first sentence, then you can say simply "maybe yes":
    "Dovrei lasciare i camerini incustoditi? Forse sì. Se non importa a loro, perché dovrebbe importare a me?"

symposium

Italian - Italy
    Hi! "Forse dovrei" works perfectly fine on its own: what you should be doing is clear from what you said before, so there's no need to repeat it. The rest of your translation is fine, I only suggest you add the personal pronouns in the last sentence: "Se non se ne interessano LORO, perchè dovrei interessarmene IO?" In this sentence the focus is on the subjects of the actions (they and you), you should stress it in Italian by using the pronouns. Also use "interessarmeNE" = "interessarmi A CIÒ".

J352SAURUS

English
    Thank you so much for your help! So, I can say...
    Dovrei lasciare i camerini incustoditi? Forse sì. Se non importa a loro, perché dovrebbe importare a me?
    (By the way, can I put "incustoditi" before "i camerini" or is it better to but it after? And why can't I put "solo" in there?)

And I can also say...

Devo lasciare i camerini incustoditi? Forse dovrei. Se non se ne interessano loro, perché dovrei interessarmene io?

And they're both correct?
    Also use "interessarmeNE" = "interessarmi A CIÒ".
    Thanks for the tip! I always get tripped up by "ne".

Necsus

Italian (Italy)
    (By the way, can I put "incustoditi" before "i camerini" or is it better to but it after? And why can't I put "solo" in there?)
    Yes, you can, but in my opinion it's better to put it after, otherwise it can seem that the fitting rooms are unattended at the moment.
    You don't need solo here, maybe semplicemente (for just), but it's redundant to me.
    And I can also say...
    Devo lasciare i camerini incustoditi? Forse dovrei. Se non se ne interessano loro, perché dovrei interessarmene io?
    You can use devo-dovrei, yes, but in the second sentence I'd suggest "Se non interessa a loro, perché dovrebbe interessare a me?"

< Previous | Next >