Maybe we should call it.

< Previous | Next >

BénéQC

france french
Hi !

I'd like to be sure that "Maybe we should call it ?" is a short form of "Maybe we should call it a day." Is it possible to say it that way?
(FR: On pourrait s'arrêter là... C'est tout pour aujourd'hui.)

Thank you ;-)

• paul f

English - England
    Obviously this is highly dependent on context, however I would agree that it could indeed be that. I wouldn't say it's common but I think I've heard it used that way before.

BénéQC

france french
    You're right. Whole sentence is: (fishing) I don't know. The fish are too smart or the're too full. Maybe we should call it? (they're on a boat, and she wants to go back and have a shower !)

RedHairFrenchGuy

French
    You're right. Whole sentence is: (fishing) I don't know. The fish are too smart or the're too full. Maybe we should call it? (they're on a boat, and she wants to go back and have a shower !)
    En l'occurrence, je pense que votre phrase est ironique vu le contexte , "Je ne sais pas, les poissons sont trop malins ou trop nombreux par ici, je pense. On devrait peut-être les appeler (version ironique supérieure "leur passer un coup de fil").

misterk

English-American
    RedHair FrenchGuy's proposition doesn't sound credible to me.

To an American ear, in this particular context, "Maybe we should call it" sounds like a shortened form of "Maybe we should call the game (on account of rain)" -- a term from sports, which means: maybe we should decide that conditions are not favorable and we're not going to continue.

Which is essentially the same thing as "Maybe we should call it a day".....

Jmus

English
    To me, "Maybe we should call it" reminds me of the medical dramas when they declare someone is dead. "Ok, he's not coming back. Let's call it. Time of death was 4:15am." Either way, I would interpret it as being a statement indicating the end of something.

Cath.S.

français de France
    RedHair FrenchGuy's proposition doesn't sound credible to me.

To an American ear, in this particular context, "Maybe we should call it" sounds like a shortened form of "Maybe we should call the game (on account of rain)" -- a term from sports, which means: maybe we should decide that conditions are not favorable and we're not going to continue.

Which is essentially the same thing as "Maybe we should call it a day".....
    Une expression française signifiant abandonner qch. en désespoir de cause et également liée à un sport, du moins à l'origine : jeter l'éponge.
    Sinon, on peut se contenter de laisser tomber (familier).

< Previous | Next >