Maze

eddaje

italy
In questa frase detta da un sergente ad un soldato, cosa significa la parola "Maze"? "You're one impressive maze-sweeper, and we need you on the front line maze…good luck!"

• TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Un "maze sweeper" è una persona che può controllare un labirinto per cose pericolose.

"Front-line maze" vuol dire un labirinto alla fronte di una battaglia.

Earlywinter1

Italian
    Dear All,
    a bit late answer.

In UK/US military argon, "[sbd/sth]-sweeper" is a person or a weapons system able to clean battlefield (land, sea, air or space) of a specific threat. Hypen if often omitted.

E.g.:

- maze-sweeper (rare) = during World War I and as I know in British Army only, a soldier or, better, an assault team trained to clean enemy trenches of opponents just to prepare a mass attack or to back-up it; something like Italian "Arditi". I found it in an old remembrances book by a British WWI Veteran, but never in Internet nor in most modern publications. Nickname is quite obvious, being trenches' net just a maze of culverts, bunkers, minefields, machine-guns emplacements and so. In Vietnam War U.S. Army deployed so-called "Tunnel Rats" to perform a similar mission in Vietcong underground tunnels' net.

- minesweeper (common) = a sappers' team, an armoured vechicle, a ship or (rarely) an aircraft equipped to clean land or sea of mines;

- Skysweeper (proper noun, rare) = a 75/60 mm, radar-aimed, remote-controlled, land- or ship-based anti-aircraft autocannon deployed by U.S. Armed Forces in the '50s and '60s and later replaces by surface-to-air missiles.

Thank You and Best Regards to All.

Last edited by a moderator: