Me cago en la leche que me han dado

< Previous | Next >

Forodio

English/Swedish
Hello,

I am reading For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway and throughout the book he uses Spanish phrases as the story is set in the middle of the Spanish Civil War. At the end of the book, the main character, Robert Jordan, is dying and tells the others to escape without him. An older man named Agustin is hesitant and wonders if Robert needs anything. Robert tells him no and to leave, to which Agustin replies "Me cago en la leche que me han dado," and then wishes him luck and rides off.

By literal translation, I found that it means "I s*** myself in the milk that they have given me," which makes absolutely no sense. I then looked around and found a previous post relating somewhat to my topic, but I am by no means fluent in Spanish, so I didn't understand any of it. So here is my question, I understand that the phrase is vulgar, but to what extent is it? And what is he basically saying (an English equivalent for example)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• mijoch

Banned
    British English
    "fucking" in English is about as strong as one can get. It really is an awful word. I'm not sure how strong "me cago en la leche" is.

Surely he is saying "what a bloody shame"-----to include a mild "taco".

M.

< Previous | Next >