Me tienen que dar la prestación por desempleo en junio

< Previous | Next >

loureed4

Spanish
Hello,

I came into this doubt, which is, how to translate this "Estoy esperando la prestación por desempleo, me la tienen que dar en Junio" into English.

My attempt is this one: "I am waiting for the unemployment allowance, they have to issue it to me in June".

I don´t know why but it sounds too Spanish too me, and I would like to know , if possible, other ways of saying the sentence, in order not to use always the same words or structures, for I hate that, I mean, I´d like to enrich my way of saying the same thing in different ways, with different verbs, and so forth.

Thanks in advance!

• anamsc

English-SF Bay Area
    Hello,

A few suggestions:

I am waiting for the (my?) unemployment benefits. They're supposed to issue them to me in June.

What do you think?

Bevj

Allegra Moderata (Sp/Eng, Cat)
    English (U.K.)
    Another option:
    I am waiting for my unemployment benefits. They're supposed to be paid in June.

Last edited:

loureed4

Spanish
    Thanks for the replies anamsc and Bevj.

Does that mean mine is wrong? . By the way, I didn´t know "benefits" with the same meaning than "allowance".

Thanks a lot for your replies!

anamsc

English-SF Bay Area
    Actually, I like Bevj's version more than mine!

Loureed4, your translation does have some parts that are incorrect -- the "the" in the first sentence is not right. Also, I guess saying "they have to" is not strictly wrong, but it sounds quite weird to me in this context. There's nothing wrong with it grammatically, but I think that it's not the right translation in this case.

Bevj

English (U.K.)
    I agree with anamsc that your translation is basically correct but a native speaker would phrase it in a different way.

loureed4

Spanish
    That´s what I guessed. Not too long ago a Dutch guy told me: "You speak English in a very Spanish way", and it is kind of normal because I am a Spaniard, hehe, but even so, I´d like to avoid that, and that is precisaly what I meant with my question, that "they are to issue it to me in June" ...sounded very Spanish....

...therefore, how would you say in an everyday English? . Gee, it is not easy thinking like you guys, hehe, I mean, like English. I figure that takes a lot of time.

Thanks in advance!

Bevj

English (U.K.)
    Well, in BrE informal talk I would probably say 'I'm waiting for my dole money to come through, I should get it in June'. :D

loureed4

Spanish
    Thanks Bevj ....those things like "...to come through" drive me crazy, I guess I´ll have to read much more still, until my brain gets used to your ways. I didn´t expected "...to come through".

Thanks!

< Previous | Next >