me voy a alejar

Mexican Spanish (Mexico City)
How do you say "me voy a alejar" in English.

The context is that I am a staff of a theme park. A visitor has lost his wallet, and he has asked us to search for it. We will investigate in our office so we want him to wait in the same place.

The original text.
Me voy a alejar por un momento, por favor espere aquí.

My try.
I am going to way off for a while, please wait here. ???

• Chaska Ñawi

Canadian English
    In this situation we would be more specific than your example, because the person who lost his wallet is already, presumably, becoming quite anxious.

I'd probably say something like, "I'm going to the office to start an investigation. Please wait here in the meantime."

cheers

Chaska Ñawi

Canadian English
    The trouble is that "moving away" implies a withdrawal (e.g., stepping away because the person has a strong body odour). We can't say "going away" either, because that implies something permanent. In English, there has to be a specific destination, which in this case is the office.

The closest way to translate "me voy a alejar" in this situation, without specifying the destination, would be, "I'm leaving you for a while".

flyingcabbage

English - Ireland
    These all sound a little unnatural to me...
    You could say something like:
    "I'll be back in moment, please wait for me here".
    which implies that you are briefly going somewhere else...

Doval

USA English/British Caribbean
    I agree with this analysis. The only thing is, you can easily say this in Spanish as well, in a variety of ways (vuelvo enseguida, etc., etc.). I chose "step away" because it's an expression used to indicate that the speaker is leaving an area briefly with the intention of returning very shortly, which captures the sense of the original in Spanish.

See the WR dictionary entry for "step."

Last edited:

jasminasul

Spanish Andalusia
    A mí, "I´m going to leave you (here) for a moment" me suena natural, creo que se podría decir si lo que se quiere es tranquilizar a esa persona.

< Previous | Next >