Meal-gathering?

shop-englishx

Banned
Urdu
Hello,

If some people gather and eat together at one place, what name would you give this type of gathering?

See the picture here.

Note that these people can be friends, family members or colleagues (who work at an institution together,)

Many thanks,

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    It is called "a meal" or "dinner."

A: "Do you know the Mehboob family?"
    B: "Yes. I know them well. I went to their house for dinner/ a meal a few days ago."

shop-englishx

Banned
    Urdu
    It is called "a meal" or "dinner."

A: "Do you know the Mehboob family?"
    B: "Yes. I know them well. I went to their house for dinner/ a meal a few days ago."
    Thanks,

If this gathering is a 'meal', can I use it this way?

I went to the Mehboob family, I found out that one person was missing in that meal (gathering).

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Maybe a BE/AE difference. I would not call it a "meal."
    To me, a meal is what they're eating. It's not a word we use much in this context, except to refer to the food.

I'd call it a dinner. If it's for a special occasion, you can specify: - a holiday dinner, a retirement dinner, a birthday dinner, etc.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    In BE, "meal" is more informal. It could take place on the lawn or in the conservatory as well as in the dining-room/area. 'Dinner' still carries some of its earlier connotations of "appear well-dressed, expect a minimum of three courses, and the table in the dining-room will be well-laid out - your seating positions will be allocated at the time." - although it does not always happen like that.

shop-englishx

Banned
    Urdu
    Hello,

I think 'dinner' is not a general word for this type of gathering, because I'm looking for a general name for this gathering (it may be at morning, it may be at noon - it may be at any time when people sit and enjoy eating together), moreover, I wonder if I can use 'meal' to mean gathering or not. (Have a loot at my example in #4)

Last edited:

suzi br

English / England
    Hello, Paul sir.

I think 'dinner' is not a general word for this type of gathering, because I'm looking for a general name for this gathering (it may be at morning, it may be at noon - it may be at any time when people sit and enjoy eating together), moreover, I wonder if I can use 'meal' to mean gathering or not. (Have a loot at my example in #4)
    I have told you we use meal in the UK. It doesn't mean "gathering", it means eating together.
    Someone else has said they don't use it this way in the USA

< Previous | Next >