meal ticket (degree)

SevernBeach

French - France
Here's the context. "The value of a degree is changing. It's not a meal ticket anymore". How would you translate "meal ticket"? I'm really short for ideas and I would welcome any suggestions!

• edwingill

England English
    gagne-pain?

another suggestion un passeport pour la réussite. I think it is better than gagne-pain

Keigan

français Canada
    A meal ticket is given to poor people so they can obtain something to eat in charity organizations. I don't think gagne-pain works here. Un gagne-pain is the job you do for a living...

Richard Levy

English -U.S.
    Hi Severn Beach:

The expression "meal ticket" refers to one's ability to procure/get something such as free tuition to a university. thanks to one's sports/academic/musical, etc ability, which in turn grants him/her a scholarship or reduced tuition at a college/unuversity.

I.E. " Martine's scholastic and musical abilty was her "meal ticket" to her university of choice."

or: The rich person with whom he/she was friends, was his/her "meal ticket to a life of comfort, wealth, stardom, etc.

Hope it helped a little.

Resards,

Richie

Keigan

français Canada
    The value of a degree is changing. It's not a meal ticket anymore

La valeur des diplômes a bien changé. Ce n'est plus seulement un bout de papier qui permet d'obtenir un emploi.

carolineR

France
    Corrigez-moi si je me trompe : je comprends la phrase de départ comme ceci : la valeur des diplômes universitaires est en train de changer. Ce ne sont plus des passeports pour la réussite (Edwin)/ des tickets d'entrée pour un emploi bien rémunéré.
    Mais l'analyse de Richard Levy détruit cette hypothèse. :confused:

edwingill

England English
    A meal ticket is given to poor people so they can obtain something to eat in charity organizations. I don't think gagne-pain works here. Un gagne-pain is the job you do for a living...
    meal ticket in the above context is not a ticket-repas.

Richard Levy

English -U.S.
    Salut à tous:

Ce que je voulais dire, c'est que d'après le sens de cette expression, qui pour nous aux eeuu, est plutôt ce que j'ai dit tout à l'heure.. Cependant, ce qu'elle a écrit, ci-dessus, est, quant à moi, aussi excellent.

Au revoir,

Richard

SevernBeach

French - France
    Hi Richard,
    the text I'm translating was released by a British paper. Could it be that the explanation you gave us of a "meal ticket" is an American thing and therefore wouldn't be quite as relevant in a British context?

Richard Levy

English -U.S.
    Hi evertone:

As per Edwingill, who is familiar with British English, we can use that for the same reason that he mentioned. However, the one that I answered, is an American-English expression meaning what I had made reference to earlier on. I do wonder if they may use it in the same sense as we do?

Regards,

Richie

< Previous | Next >