mean hustle

< Previous | Next >

Cretschen

Spanish - Spain
Hello. I am new in these forums, and this is my first thread asking for advice.

I am translating a kind of documentary that depicts life in some US prisons, usually from the perspective of the inmates. The name of the documentary is "Lockup Extended Stay: Tampa".

In one chapter, one of the inmates says this: "That is my ideal chick. She doesn't have any inhibitions, she is a stripper. I respect a dancer who's got a mean hustle. Some girls don't have that hustle in them. Other girls can hustle".

I had no idea of what he meant by "mean hustle". I looked it up on Google, and I found what apparently is a rap song and some extra results, but nothing really useful for me.

Could you explain to me what do you think it means in English? I only decided that "hustling" meant something akin to "swindling", possibly with sexual undertones, but I don't understand how the adjective "mean" modifies the noun "hustle" in this expression.

Thanks in advance, I'm sorry my first question is so hard x )
Cretschen

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    It means that she has a certain hard, aggressive attitude that helps her when she is hustling others for money. Girls with softer personalities wouldn't make as much money in a strip club.

Welcome to the forum, Cretschen. Please remember to name the source. What is the name of the documentary? Thank you.

Cretschen

Spanish - Spain
    Thanks, owlman! That's exactly what I wanted to know.

The name of the documentary is "Lockup Extended Stay: Tampa".

Also, this is not a translation forum, but I will give my attempt anyway (just in English): "a stripper with a mean hustle" = "a stripper who will try to take your money unceremoniously".

Last edited:

owlman5

English-US
    You're welcome, Cretschen, and thanks for the source.

Your translated version conveys the essential information. If you can, you might try to find some short phrase in Spanish that means something like "a tough hustler" or even a "tough negotiator". Those ideas are pretty close to "a dancer who has a mean hustle."

Cretschen

Spanish - Spain
    My Spanish translation was as follows:

<<Spanish removed. This is the English Only forum>>

I had some difficulty with the word "hustle". I don't know if I'm right, but it does sound a bit informal to me in this context.
    Thanks again!
    Cretschen

Last edited by a moderator:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Could you explain to me what do you think it means in English? I only decided that "hustling" meant something akin to "swindling", possibly with sexual undertones, but I don't understand how the adjective "mean" modifies the noun "hustle" in this expression.
    Welcome to the forum. :)

No, "hustle" doesn't necessarily have anything to do with either sex or swindling (although it might—but working in a strip club isn't swindling, and many swindles have nothing to do with sex). As to "mean" in this context, I agree with Owlman's interpretation (post #2).

You have still not named your source, which is required.

Cretschen

Spanish - Spain
    Thanks, Parla : )

The name of the documentary is "Lockup Extended Stay: Tampa".
    Do you need to know any further information, apart from the name of the show?

Also, if I was wrong about "hustle"... can it mean "take money from someone"? That was my interpretation so far.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    It can, but it doesn't necessarily. The question in this thread concerns hustle as a noun. The forum dictionary, which is British, doesn't consider hustle as a noun, only a verb. From the online American Heritage Dictionary:
    n.1. The act or an instance of jostling or shoving.

2. Energetic activity; drive.

3. Slang An illicit or unethical way of doing business or obtaining money; a fraud or deceit.

As used to describe the stripper, it's clearly definition #2.

Cretschen

Spanish - Spain
    Thank you, Parla, I actually changed my translation after reading that.

Maybe "mean hustle" can then be interpreted as "aggressive attitude", as owlman too suggested.

Regards,
    Cretschen

pops91710

English, AE
    That's the way I understood it. To work or move with vigor as in hustling and bustling. I had a coach always yell at us "put some hustle in it!" while we were running.

< Previous | Next >