mean streak

< Previous | Next >

James Zhang

China/Chinese
Hi, friends.
I met with the comments below. it is about Hiliary.

She has also displayed what some voters have perceived as a mean streak and others (not enough, though) saw as gritty determination. And she could never allay confusion about the future role of her husband

My question is:
Does "She has also displayed what some voters have perceived as a mean streak" mean that the author thinks she is mean?

Thanks!
J

• Erebos12345

Canadian English
    Not necessarily. The sentence says that some voters have perceived what she has done as a mean streak, while other voters perceive her same actions as determination instead.

A mean streak doesn't just imply "mean," but it also implies being mean for an extended period of time.

James Zhang

China/Chinese
    thank you, Erebos12345 .
    But here are another two questions:
    1. a mean streak does not mean "mean" here, and it is in contrast to determination. so, does it mean fragility, softness, ...(what is the proper expression)?
    2. "for an extended period of time" -- how do i understand "extended" here?

have a good day there
    J

Erebos12345

Canadian English
    No no. I meant that mean streak doesn't only imply "mean." It does mean "mean" but the streak also implies that this wasn't a single instance of being mean, but rather an ongoing behaviour. This is also what's meant by "extended period." It wasn't a single act of being mean, but rather she was perceived to be mean for a longer period of time.

< Previous | Next >