Meaning of "fused the plug" Is the meaning of fuse is "join" or "stop working" in the context?

Harry665

Thailand
Context Question: "Why are we so worried about artificial intelligence? Surely humans are always able to pull the plug?
Answer "People asked a computer, “Is there a God?” And the computer said, “There is now,” and fused the plug.

• Chasint

English - England
    It is not very technically accurate but I take it to mean "caused the fuse in the plug to blow". Thus the computer showed that it could now exist independently of the power supply.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    "Fuse" here means "solder" or "join." God soldered the plug so that it could not be pulled out, which would take power away from the computer.

(This is taken, with changes, from Fredric Brown's 1964 short story "Answer." At the time battery-operated computers were still many years in the future.)

manfy

German - Austria
    "Fuse" here means "solder" or "join." God soldered the plug so that it could not be pulled out, which would take power away from the computer.
    :thumbsup:
    I read it the same way. The computer fused the plug with the receptacle somehow (although it's technically unlikely), because this would nicely contradict the assumption that "humans always will be able to pull the plug" in its literal form.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    AE speakers may not know that in the UK, with 220V mains electricity, each (modern) plug has a fuse inside - leading to potential confusion on the "paraphrase" in the OP of "fused the plug" :) (Even though this is true today it was not true when the story was written - but the OP has no information on that :)

Thanks , Egmont, for the source. Here's a copy on-line. In that version, which is much clearer, God "fused the switch shut" so the machine coud not be turned off.

Chasint

English - England
    This is why context is so important. Having now seen the original passage I have changed my mind. It's old technology.

< Previous | Next >