Meaning of the word "cheesy"

GorkaM

Spanish - Spain
Hi everyone!

I've been wondering for a while what is the meaning of the word "cheesy". I know it's colloquial and used in a variety of ways. I'd really appreciate if you could tell me how you understand it, regardless of the country (USA, UK, Australia...).

Thanks!

• GorkaM

Spanish - Spain
    Hello, Gorka. Welcome to the forums. :)

Please use the search bar at the top for words/phrases before making a new thread. There are a few existing ones already like this one. :)
    Hi, Hau! Thank you for the welcome!

I already made the search before opening the thread. I decided to do it because the current information present in the forum does not provide the answer I need. They are all in a context where the word "cheesy" is applied to a person or other situations. I would like to understand a common meaning of the word out of any context. I read it commonly means something with bad quality or stupid.

Thank you a lot!

Last edited:

Hau Ruck

English - U.S.
    Well, that's a bit too broad for what we do here. :D See, they require that we give specific context. If we were to answer broadly the thread could go in too may directions and be rather clustered. :D

Sadly, we have to have specific context and give you a specific answer. :(

GorkaM

Spanish - Spain
    Well, that's a bit too broad for what we do here. :D See, they require that we give specific context. If we were to answer broadly the thread could go in too may directions and be rather clustered. :D

Sadly, we have to have specific context and give you a specific answer. :(
    That said, I'm going to try to give a context with the word as a verb (I don't know if that even exists):

1. I'm sad, I need to cheesy.
    2. Please, cheesy me.

Hope this makes answering easier. Thank you! :)

GorkaM

Spanish - Spain
    Ok, so what are its meanings in these contexts?

1. I like you being cheesy!
    2. I'm so cheesy.
    3. I'd like to buy those cheesy earphones.

Thanks! :D

Hau Ruck

English - U.S.
    There is a very good explanation in this thread. :D

It is rather difficult to explain. If you were to google/youtube 'cheesy' I bet you'd find some people 'acting cheesy' and understand it better. :D

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Welcome from me, too, Gorka. :)

1. I like you being cheesy!
    2. I'm so cheesy.
    3. I'd like to buy those cheesy earphones.
    I'm sorry, but none of these make any sense to me. I have never heard of anyone using "cheesy" to describe a person. As to the third sentence, since cheesy is distinctly negative, it wouldn't make sense for anyone to choose to purchase a product he viewed as cheesy.

Alby84

American English
    Welcome from me, too, Gorka. :)

I'm sorry, but none of these make any sense to me. I have never heard of anyone using "cheesy" to describe a person. As to the third sentence, since cheesy is distinctly negative, it wouldn't make sense for anyone to choose to purchase a product he viewed as cheesy.
    I quite disagree that people cannot be described as cheesy. I use it as a variant of "corny" to describe people all the time. #3 does sound odd to me, though, and I'd most likely use tacky or something similar in that circumstance.

Hau Ruck

English - U.S.
    I quite disagree that people cannot be described as cheesy. I use it as a variant of "corny" to describe people all the time. #3 does sound odd to me, though, and I'd most likely use tacky or something similar in that circumstance.
    I'd do the same. There is actually a rather vulgar term used to describe someone as 'cheesy'; 'cheese dick'.

"Look at that guy; what a cheese dick." (the inverse of 'dick cheese' is also used).

Oh, how fun.

dasubergeek

English - US; French - CH
    I've never heard that vulgar expression in my life.

Cheesy can absolutely be used to describe a person. Dorky, silly, fake, unoriginal, lame... something that is cheesy makes you roll your eyes :)rolleyes:) when you encounter it. So cheesy headphones would have, say, a picture of Hello Kitty or would be overly elaborate and ugly.

< Previous | Next >