means preposition

< Previous | Next >

navi

Banned
armenian
Which are correct:
1-Although we were physically in better shape, they won through superior technical play.
2-Although we were physically in better shape, they won by superior technical play.
3-Although we were physically in better shape, they won with superior technical play.

4-Although we were physically in better shape, they won through playing better technically.
5-Although we were physically in better shape, they won by playing better technically.

I am pretty sure that 1 and 5 are correct. I wouldn't use the other ones, but I am not sure they are wrong.

• lian.alon22

US
    US-English
    I would personally say #2, and maybe #3, but I don't think they are at all wrong; some simply flow better than others.

Catheina

English - United States (southern)
    I agree with Kevin. I think "by" is a better choice because it indicates "by means of". I think "by" is the most precise, but it really doesn't make much difference. Native-English speakers will understand it any of the ways you mentioned, because the "although" indicates there is some relation between what you would expect and what actually happened. The "superior technical play" couldn't be understood as extra, unrelated information; it is the explanation for why the unexpected thing happened.

< Previous | Next >