measure word for 调羹

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by MarioAbsgard, Mar 20, 2013.

  1. MarioAbsgard New Member

    Hello again :)

    This time I will like to know the Measure Word for "调羹 (tiào gēng)".

  2. xiaolijie

    xiaolijie Senior Member

    English (UK)
    The measure word for it is 只 (zhi1).
    By the way, 调羹 is read as "tiao2 geng1", not "tiao4 geng1" .
  3. MarioAbsgard New Member

    你好 Xiaolijie, 谢谢你的浜忙。

    I know I made a mistake in the accent, and I referrering to Measure Word "只" I can also use "把" right?

  4. xiaolijie

    xiaolijie Senior Member

    English (UK)
    Yes, you can use 把. It's often the measure word for things that have a handle.
  5. MarioAbsgard New Member

    Ok :) thank you
  6. SuperXW

    SuperXW Senior Member

    One thing that bothers me is: in some Northern provinces (including Beijing), people only say 勺 for "spoon" while 羹/匙 are rarely used. Writing 羹/匙 would be understandable, but still rare. If you say 羹/匙 instead of 勺, people would firstly think 羹 is some jelly soup and mishear 匙 as 池 (pool) or 十 (ten). This would bring a mess on your dining table...
    So if you are in those places,
    调羹=...汤勺 or 勺子
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  7. zhg Senior Member

    Agree. 调羹 does sound like a Southern thing especially when saying 一只调羹 instead of 一把调羹.
  8. Ghabi

    Ghabi AL/OL/Ar/Zh mod

    Hong Kong
    Hi! This question about 调羹~勺子 has also been discussed in this thread.
  9. Youngfun

    Youngfun Senior Member

    Bắc Kinh
    Wu Chinese & Italian
    SuperXW, even in the South Jiangnan if you say 羹 it will be understand as "jelly soup"... nobody would understand it as "spoon". You have to say 调羹, the word used in Jiangnan.
    In fact that's the meaning of 调羹: (the tool used for) taking the soup.
    In those regions 调 (tiáo) is also a verb meaning "to take with the spoon".
    And 调羹 is any kind of 勺.

    As for the measure word, 把 is slightly more common than 只 in those regions.

    EDIT: just noticed from the other thread that 羹 is used for spoon in Hokkien/Cantonese.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

Share This Page