measure

< Previous | Next >

LQZ

Mandarin
Since that point, total output — the amount of goods and services produced by the United States — has increased, as have many other measures of economic activity.
But some economists say that a better measure would be the gap between where output is and where it could have been if growth had been uninterrupted.
Dear all,

The above is taken from the NYT from the same article, and I've looked measure up in dictionaries. But I still don't know clearly what measure(s) mean in the sentences in question. Could you help me? Thanks.

LQZ

• Tazzler

American English
    Here it means "something which measures, something evaluations are based on". To put it more clearly, it means something by which you can evaluate economic activity. Maybe this definition helps:
    2. A reference standard or sample used for the quantitative comparison of properties: The standard kilogram is maintained as a measure of mass.I looked in the dictionary myself and it must be confusing when all the definitions of a word are so similar.

owlman5

English-US
    Just to add to Tazzler's definition, LQZ, I wanted to add a couple of examples of "economic measures":

the number of new houses being built in any given year

the increase/decrease in retail sales during a holiday season compared with other holiday seasons

< Previous | Next >