Measurements

Dymn

Hi,

I wonder how your language handles measurements.

For example English uses to be + an adjective describing what kind of measurement it is:

I'm 1.80 meters tall.
The table is 3 meters long and 2 meters wide.

In Catalan, we use the verb fer "to do". You can use both an adjective (llarg, ample) or the noun (llargada, amplada) if you wish to specify:

Faig metre vuitanta.
La taula fa 3 metres de llarg/llargada i 2 d'ample/amplada.

In Spanish, medir "to measure" is used. In Spanish both the adjective and the noun can be used but the adjective feels more natural to me:

Mido metro ochenta.
La mesa mide 3 metros de largo/longitud y 2 de ancho/anchura.

On the other hand all languages I know use the same verb for weights:

Peso setanta quilos.
Peso setenta kilos.
I weigh seventy kilos.

• Yendred

Français - France
    Logically, French is similar to Spanish:
    Je mesure 1m80
    Je pèse 70kg

More generally you can use faire:
    Je fais 1m80
    Je fais 70kg
    La table fait 3m de long et 2m de large

In Greek:

In order to declare one's height, the verb "to be" followed by the number, suffices, eg:

«Είμαι 1,80» [ˈi.me] (1st p. sing. present of "to be") --> (I) am 1 m 80 cm

However...

If one wants to be more specific by using the noun height, then the preferred verb is "to have" eg:

«Έχω ύψος 1,80» [ˈe.xɔ ˈi.p͡sɔs] (1st p. sing. present of "to have") --> (I) have (the) height (of) 1 m 80 cm.

Similarly:

«Ζυγίζω 80 κ» [ziˈʝi.zɔ] (1st p. sing. present of v. "to weigh") --> (I) weigh 80 kg
    or
    «Είμαι 80 κ» [ˈi.me] --> (I) am 80 kg
    but
    «Έχω βάρος 80 κ» [ˈe.xɔ ˈva.ɾɔs] --> (I) have (the) weight (of) 80 kg

Edit: Forgot to add how to declare measurement for things.

«Το τραπέζι είναι 3 μέτρα μήκος - 2 μέτρα πλάτος» [tɔ traˈpe.zi ˈi.ne] (3rd p. sing. present of v. "to be") --> the table is 3m long - 2m wide
    or
    «Το τραπέζι είναι 3x2 [tɔ traˈpe.zi ˈi.ne] (3rd p. sing. present of v. "to be") --> the table is 3 by 2
    but
    «Το τραπέζι έχει διαστάσεις 3 μέτρα μήκος - 2 μέτρα πλάτος» [tɔ traˈpe.zi ˈe.çi ði.asˈta.sis] (3rd p. sing. present of verb "to have") --> the table has dimensions (of) 3m long - 2m wide

Last edited:

merquiades

English (USA Northeast)
    For example English uses to be + an adjective describing what kind of measurement it is:

I'm 1.80 meters tall.
    I'm 1.8 meters (tall) or a meter eight sounds a tad better to me but Americans very rarely use the metric system in daily conversations: I'm 5 ft 11 (inches tall). The adjective isn't compulsory.
    It's also possible to use the verb measure if you want to sound more formal: The table measures 3 meters in length and 2 meters in width.

Last edited:

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    In Palestinian Arabic, we use nouns:

أنا طولي متر وتمانين سانتي = Literally, "Me, my height [more literally, "length"] is a meter and 80 centimeters."
    الطاولة طولها تلات متورة وعرضها مترين = Literally, "The table, its length is three meters and its width is two meters."
    أنا وزني سبعين كيلو = Literally, "Me, my weight is seventy pounds."

أنا/"me" can be omitted in the first and third sentences.

TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
    Italian
    - height
    essere alto 1,80 m (literally "be tall 1,80 m"): we usually read it out as "sono alto uno e ottanta" (omitting "metro", i.e. meter) or "sono alto un metro e ottanta" (not omitting it). We rarely express our height in centimeters, at least in my experience, unless we're talking about objects (e.g. La porta di calcio è alta 224 centimetri = Soccer/football goals are 224 cm tall)
    - length and width
    essere lungo/largo 2,80 m (literally "be long/wide 2,80 m"): same as above but we use centimeters ("centimetri") more often. We also use the verb "misurare" for length and width (e.g. la mia stanza misura 2 x 3 metri)
    - weight
    pesare 50 kg (literally "to weigh 50 kg"): we tend not to use constructions such as "be ... heavy". We usually use kilograms (read out as "chilogrammi" or, informally, "chili" /'kili/, although the spelling with the initial "k" is also used) for people and either kilograms or grams ("grammi") for objects.

Armas

Finnish
    Finnish:
    Olen metri kahdeksankymmentä pitkä "I am meter eighty long"
    Pöytä on kolme metriä pitkä ja kaksi metriä leveä "The table is three meters long and two meters wide"
    Painan 70 kiloa "I weigh 70 kilos"

Sardokan1.0

Sardu / Italianu
    Sardinian like other Romance languages uses both "to be" (essere) and "to measure" (mesurare)

"To be" - Sa taula est longa 3 (tres) metros e larga 2 (duos).
    "To measure" - Sa taula mesurat 3 metros de longària e 2 de largària
    (longària = length - largària = width - altària =
    height)

For the weight there is the usual verb "pesare", but we can also use "to be" as replacement

(with "pesare") - How much do you weigh? -> Cantu pesas?
    (with "essere") - How much do you weigh? -> Cantos kilos ses?

- Peso settanta kilos (I weigh 70 kg)
    - So settanta kilos (I'm 70 kg)

Last edited:

Fico and Snoopy Show

Chinese(Mandarin and Cantonese) - China
    In Chinese, we
    1. Use the measurement directly as a verb.
    我一米八。 (I 1.8 metres.) = I am 1.8 metres tall.
    2. Use "有" (have) before the measurement. Usually, this implies that the speaker wants to tell you the figures are not small.
    我有一米八。= I am 1.8 metres tall! [I am tall, aren't I?]
    这段路有500米吗? (Does this path have 500 metres?) = Is the road longer than 500 metres? [I think 500 metres is a long distance.] {Please correct my translation here if it is incorrect}
    3. Use "有" (omittable) and an adjective describing the kind of the measurement.
    他(有)2米高。(He has 2 metres tall.) = He is 2 metres tall.
    4. Use the adjective mentioned above as a verb before the measurement.
    这张桌子长3米,宽2米。(长=long,宽=wide) = The table is 3 meters long and 2 meters wide.

kaverison

Tamil
    We use metric system in India. Yet, when it comes to linear measurements in daily usage, we use feet and inches. Definitely, Kilos and grams for weight.

In Tamil, height, weight and length are expressed as a property of an object. We express one's height more as "my height is..". எனது உயரம் 5 அடி 8 அங்குலம். - enathu uyaram 5 adi 8 angulam = my height (is) 5 feet 8 inches.
    There are other units of length/height அடி and அங்குலம் have been traditionally used. கோவில் கோபுரத்தின் உயரம் 216 அடி = The temple tower is 216 feet tall.

When it comes to length, we could say table's length is 4 feet 5 inches or மேசையின் நீளம் 4 அடி 5 அங்குலம்.

(In modern, colloquial version, people tend to literal traslate English, to say, மேசை 4 அடி 5 அங்குலம் நீளமாக உள்ளது. Literally, table 4 feet 5 inches long is (being). We use the SOV structure.).

There are traditional measures like முழம் - muzham, சாண் - saaN are still in vogue with masons. From wikipedia,

2 சாண் = 1 முழம் =
    {\displaystyle 1{\frac {3}{8}}}
    அடி (foot)

As for the weights, kilo and gram work. 🍅 தக்காளி (ஒரு) கிலோ எவ்வளவு (விலை)? Literally, Tomato (one) kilo how much (price)?

I have heard my grandpa use a துலாம் - thulaam, பலம் - palam etc. It is becoming rarer.

Note: மேசை is from Portuguese mesa. தக்காளி is also foreign (must be Portuguese that introduced it) to us. Don't know the root word for it.

KalAlbè

American English & Kreyòl Ayisyen
    In (Brazilian) Portuguese:

1. I'm 1.80 meters tall. The verb ter(to have) is used here: Tenho um metro 80 centímetros.
    2. The table is 3 meters long and 2 meters wide. The verb ter or medir(to measure) are usually used: A mesa tem/mede 3 metros de comprimento e 2 metros de largura.

In Haitian Creole:

Verb se (to be) for number one.
    Verb gen(to have) for number two.

< Previous | Next >