media activist

< Previous | Next >

ettamae

french
Hi everyone !

I thought it meant "activiste des médias" which is rather rare I agree but then I found a translation as "documentariste", do you think it is an accurate translation ?

any help appreciated !

• ettamae

french
    I think "documentariste" does not fit here. Here is the whole sentence "And the challenge that the cultural worker faces, myself for example, as a writer and as a media activist, ist that the tools of my trade have been colonized" which I translated by " Et le travailleur culturel, moi par exemple, en tant qu'écrivain et activiste des médias, doit faire face à la colonisation des outils de ma profession"

There would be no reasons here to translate "media activist" by "documentariste" here, i was just wondering if anyone had an example in which "media activist" would be understood to mean "documentariste." Thanks !

Zulumita

French
    What do you think about this: "Le défi auquel doivent faire face les travailleurs culturels, dont moi par exemple, comme écrivain et journaliste activiste, est la colonisation (domination) des outils de ma profession"

Or you can talk about "...main-mise sur les outils de ma profession."

Last edited:

ettamae

french
    i don't think "journaliste activiste" would work here, she's never been a journalist but she made documentaries and films, hence the translation by "documentariste" I believe.
    from wikipedia : documentariste: Cinéaste réalisateur de documentaires.

I would rather keep "colonisation" and "esclavage", because being Af Am, she is very aware of the history of colonization and slavery. But I like the way you organized the sentence, what about:

"Le défi auquel doivent faire face les travailleurs culturels, moi par exemple, en tant qu'écrivain et documentariste, est la colonisation des outils de notre profession."

Qu'en penses-tu ?

Zulumita

French
    Je penche plus pour réalisateur de documentaires... documentariste n'étant pas très usité... et dans ce cas, je mettrais engagé pour activist.

< Previous | Next >