media naranja

• ORL

Spanish/Argentina
    accusing me of calling her my "average orange". :rolleyes:

Well, she can´t speak Spanish it seems. "Average orange" would be "naranja promedio", "naranja término medio", "naranja medio pelo", but never "media naranja" in that sense.

"Media naranja" es una frase muy popular en Argentina.

2-"En busca de tu media naranja - i really cannot understand the meaning of this sentence.

It comes from the concept that as human beings we are incomplete, only halves. So, if you consider that concept and you take a fruit like an orange to describe it, then you are not complete, you still need your "half orange".
    By the way, speaking about a half orange, no one would say in Spanish "una naranja media", the natural way is to say "una media naranja", which has nothing to do with an orange sock, since that would be "una media anaranjada".
    Probably "the apple of my eye" is the closest phrase available in English.

LanguageGeek08

English - U.S.
    No, "she is after my own heart" does not work as an equivalent of "Es mi media naranja." "Oh, a girl after my own heart!" is an expression you might say upon learning that the girl in question likes something that you like, or shares the same opinion as you about something. For ex:

Boy invites girl to dinner. Boy is crazy about red wine, but does not know anything about the girl's tastes. Girl shows up, boy asks her what she would like to drink and gives her various options (red wine, white wine, scotch, whiskey, Coca-cola, tea...) and she says, "I would love some red wine actually. It's my favorite thing to drink." Boy is delighted to learn that they share this in common and so exclaims happily, "Oh, a girl after my own heart! I love red wine too."

Hope this clarifies things!

pedritohola

Thai
    Hola, mi profesora me dice que en cada lugar en América del Sur usa la palabra "media naranja" de otra manera. ¿Quiero saber cómo se dice "media naranja" en Argentina? muchas gracias por adelantado :)

gatordeb

Spanish - Venezuela
    Could anyone shed light as to why it's an orange and not an apple or a pomegranate?

I met mine this Sept and whenever someone tells me I met mi media naranja I tell them, el no es mi media naranja, el es la ensalada de fruta completa :D

DooWopMop

English-U.S.A.
    Could anyone shed light as to why it's an orange and not an apple or a pomegranate?

I met mine this Sept and whenever someone tells me I met mi media naranja I tell them, el no es mi media naranja, el es la ensalada de fruta completa :D
    My best advise to EVERYONE on here that cannot understand the *why* of it being an orange vs any other fruit is this...
    #1) Go buy an orange.
    #2) After peeling your orange, split it into 2 halves by pulling it apart-DO NOT CUT IT
    #3) If you look at each half you will notice that it would be (most likely) impossible to match your halves up to ANY other orange ever, because they are all different from the rest...EXCEPT when it comes to their own "media naranja"😄
    It is so beautifully simple in it's perfection.
    I realize I am a few years late with this. I still hope it helps somebody out there.

jilar

Español
    "Media naranja" sin más contexto, en español puede significar tres cosas:
    1. Pareja sentimental.
    2. La mitad de una naranja.
    3. Prenda femenina, llamada media, y que es de color naranja.