Media or THE Media

• Annie_Hall

Bulgarian
    well, let me be more precise then.
    Media reported positively on the event or The Media reported...

The English media or English media dominated the coverage

Copyright

American English
    I would say:
    The media reported positively on the event.
    The English media reported positively on the event.
    English media reported positively on the event, while the French media remained skeptical.
    The English media reported positively on the event, while the French media remained skeptical.

What I wouldn't say is:
    Media reported positively on the event. :cross:

ShirleyLing

Banned
    chinese
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/books/review/Carr-t.html
    Coupland explains that it was Mc­Luhan’s ability to anticipate the homogenizing and dehumanizing effect of mass media when the phenomenon was in its infancy that made him remarkable.
    Shouldn't there be a "the" before "mass media", since it is a unique, collective reference?

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2011/01/26/decadence-and-democracy-in-italy/women-in-the-decorative-role
    But for the dissenters, it is hard to gain visibility given the power that Berlusconi exerts on the mass media, especially over the TV networks.
    <<Moderator's note: This thread has been merged with a previous thread.
    Please read from the top. >>

Last edited by a moderator:

ShirleyLing

Banned
    chinese
    So, in
    Coupland explains that it was Mc­Luhan’s ability to anticipate the homogenizing and dehumanizing effect of mass media when the phenomenon was in its infancy that made him remarkable.
    "effect of mass media" is slightly wrong.

JamesM

I wouldn't say so. "Mass media" refers to all mass media in the same way that "The harmful effects of radiation are well documented." We're talking about all radiation here, just as your sample sentence is talking about all mass media.

Leafka

Polish
    I hope it is OK to revive an old thread :)

I would say:
    (...)
    English media reported positively on the event, while the French media remained skeptical.
    The English media reported positively on the event, while the French media remained skeptical.

(...)
    Does it mean you can omit the before media if you want to compare different media?

Copyright

American English
    You can do almost anything, in my opinion. I would only choose which one of these to use once I knew the context and the day of the week and my mood:

English media reported positively on the event, while French media remained skeptical.

The English media reported positively on the event, while French media remained skeptical.

In general, I would probably make them parallel: either "the" or "no the" for both ... as in 2 and 3.

Leafka

Polish
    Thank you! Just to clarify - it is not correct to say: 'English media reported positively on the event while (the) French media remained skeptical'?

Last edited:

Leafka

Polish
    And, providing I have spotted a few positive articles on the event, would it be better to say: 'English media reported positively on the event' or 'The English media reported positively on the event'? Or maybe it doesn't matter at all? :)

Copyright

American English
    I don't think it matters much. Others may have other opinions ... or it may matter to them so little that they won't get involved. :D

sdgraham

USA English
    As a retired member thereof and as a side note, I suggest you be specific and say "the news media," if are referring to that sort of media rather than the entertainment media, fashion magazines, supermarket tabloids, etc.

< Previous | Next >