Medicine(s) safety

< Previous | Next >

Timlo

Chinese
Should the word "medicine" be in plural in such a compound noun? Is there a difference?

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    It would help us to decide what the correct word/expression is if you tell us what you mean and in what context you want to use it.

Timlo

Chinese
    Sentence : You can win a hundred dollars by conpleting a survey on medicines safety communications.

Andygc

British English
    You should use the singular in that sentence.
    Not necessarily. "Medicines safety" is a standard phrase in the world of medicines safety and regulation. We don't know who the sentence "You can win a hundred dollars by conpleting a survey on medicines safety communications." is aimed at. I can't understand the intended situation here. Medicines safety communications go to healthcare professionals - doctors and pharmacists. I can't imagine any of those wasting time on a survey for the chance to win a prize of $100. My hourly rate was more than that.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Which is why I surmised that it was aimed at the public, and refers to safety notices issued with medicines. But you're right - without further context it's impossible to be certain.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    If indeed it was aimed at the public, the questions would probably be general and concern more than one medication. I'd expect medicines'—i.e., the plural possessive.

< Previous | Next >