Meditating/devising (a/the) revenge/vengeance

< Previous | Next >

skyreader

Italian
Hi,
Which one of the following expressions gives a clearer idea of planning (or thinking about) a revenge in an elaborated way?

Meditating/devising (a/the) revenge/vengeance

The difference of meaning between vengeance and revenge it's not so clear to me.
I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks!

• Copyright

American English
    Vengeance is for the gods and revenge is for us. And we might plan it or devise a way to do it, rather than just meditate on it.

skyreader

Italian
    I found this reference in the "Ivanhoe" by Walter Scott:

But it does not please me, thou knave,'' said Cedric, ``that I should be made to suppose otherwise for two hours, and sit here devising vengeance against my neighbours for wrongs they have not done me.

I also found various examples for "devising revenge". I'd opt out for this last one...

Thanks for now.

Copyright

American English
    Actually, you'd opt for it, rather than opting out for it. But the point stands that while Cedric may not be a god, he's a lot closer to heaven in Ivanhoe than he is to earthbound us. I don't think we do a lot of suburban vengeance these days. And I love bluegiraffe's "plotting your revenge." Consider opting for that... unless you're writing something exalted. You haven't told us the context and we forgot to torture you for it. :D

skyreader

Italian
    I have to give titles to photos for an exposition. I can't show you those pics, sorry... but in one of this pics there's a man smoking outside an old english car on a solitary beach, lit by the headlights, at night, deep at night. His eyes are looking at the distant horizon. He is deep in thought.
    I love to be find the sense of a picture only by few words.
    If you agree with me... DEVISING REVENGE is the one I like the most ;O)

< Previous | Next >