meet with someone up(place) at somewhere

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
Hi, there

In a movie, a secretary is introducing a candidate for a job to her boss, and ha says :"Human Resources sent her up about the new assistant job"... and then, when the boss is interviewing the candidate, the latter says: "... I finally got a call from Elias-Clarke and met with Sherry up at Human Resources"

My question is: If the candidate was sent up from Human Resources, how could she be on a floor above the Human Resources floor and still say "I met with Sherry up at Human Resources"?

Thank you

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Are you serious? This is not English, this is logic.

"Human Resources sent her up from her department where she usually works and which is below ours about the new assistant job"... and then, when the boss is interviewing the candidate, the latter says: "... I finally got a call from Elias-Clarke and met with Sherry [up] who works on the floor above our present position and also above my department at Human Resources"

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    Are you serious? This is not English, this is logic.

"Human Resources sent her up from her department where she usually works and which is below ours about the new assistant job"... and then, when the boss is interviewing the candidate, the latter says: "... I finally got a call from Elias-Clarke and met with Sherry [up] who works on the floor above our present position and also above my department at Human Resources"
    But "Sherry" works at Human Resources, that is below the candidate's actual position(where she is being interviewed). How could the candidate says "Up at Human Resources" if the Human Resources department is below?

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    sent her up from her department where she usually works
    I'm not convinced this is correct. It's plausible if this is an internal candidate, but in the absence of corroborating information I would assume she's an outside candidate, so that there is no "her department".

I think Gabriel has identified a genuine logical mistake in the source. The candidate has been sent up from HR (implying HR are on a lower floor than where the boss is), and the boss refers to Sherry up at HR (implying HR are on a higher floor). I think one of the "up"s should be a "down".

Myridon

English - US
    "Up" could mean different things in the two sentences. The bosses are always metaphorically higher up in the business than the HR people regardless of location. Also, one could be upstairs and the other could be up north, uptown, up river, ..

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    "Up" could mean different things in the two sentences. The bosses are always metaphorically higher up in the business than the HR people regardless of location. Also, one could be upstairs and the other could be up north, uptown, up river, ..
    But the Human resources department is in the same building as the place where she is being interviewed.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    3rd Floor - HR
    2nd Floor - the place of the interview
    1st Floor - where the candidate works

"Human Resources sent her up" -> from 1st floor to the 2nd floor
    "... I finally got a call [whilst I was in my office on the first floor] from Elias-Clarke and met with Sherry who is up at Human Resources" -> who is on the third floor which is above where we are now and above where I normally work.

Myridon

English - US
    But the Human resources department is in the same building as the place where she is being interviewed.
    You haven't actually given that as context - nor told us the name of the movie as you should. ;) Is Sherry with this company's HR department or Elias-Clarke's HR department?
    It could still be in the direction of north, upriver, uptown, up the hall, upstairs literally while the bosses are upstairs metaphorically, ... even if it's in the same building.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    but in the absence of corroborating information I would assume she's an outside candidate, so that there is no "her department".
    There is no evidence for her being an external candidate at all but she seems on first name terms with Sherry in HR, which points towards her being an internal candidate...

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    3rd Floor - HR
    2nd Floor - the place of the interview
    1st Floor - where the candidate works

"Human Resources sent her up" -> from 1st floor to the 2nd floor
    "... I finally got a call [whilst I was in my office on the first floor] from Elias-Clarke and met with Sherry who is up at Human Resources" -> who is on the third floor which is above where we are now and above where I normally work.
    You haven't actually given that as context - nor told us the name of the movie as you should. ;) Is Sherry with this company's HR department or Elias-Clarke's HR department?
    It could still be in the direction of north, upriver, uptown, up the hall, upstairs literally while the bosses are upstairs metaphorically, ... even if it's in the same building.

I am sorry. I will provide more context: I don't know about "Sherry". This is the first and only mention to this person in the movie.. But I think this person works for Ellias-Clark. The candidate doesn't work in the building

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The candidate doesn't work in the building
    So... if the interview is on any floor above ground level, the candidate will have to go up - is that correct?
    And likewise:
    If the HR department is above the place where she is interviewed, then meeting Sherry will also be "up" - is this correct?

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Yes, but when did the candidate meet with Sherry up at HR in relation to the interview? Does it not sound as though it was immediately prior?
    Then she would have had to go up from street level to HR for a chat with Sherry, who would then have sent her down to the interview floor.

< Previous | Next >