mehr als 600 Jahre

Dupon

Chinese
Sie wird nach einem mehr als 600 Jahre alten Rezept hergestellt mit Gewürzen wie Majoran und Kümmel.
Das neue Berliner Schloss erhält die alten barocken Fassaden, wie sie vor mehr als 300 Jahren vom Architekten Andreas Schlüter geschaffen wurden.

I want to know after “als”, which kind of case is it?

nach einem mehr als 600 Jahre alten Rezept, "600 Jahre" is Akk?
vor mehr als 300 Jahren, "300 Jahren" is Dat.?

Does the case have no relationship with “als” and how to decide which case should be used?

Thanks!

• Demiurg

German
    "600 Jahre" refers to "alt":

ein 600 Jahre altes Rezept
    nach einem 600 Jahre alten Rezept

"300 Jahre" is a prepositional object. It takes the case of the preposition:

vor 300 Jahren / nach 300 Jahren
    300 Jahre ist es her ...

It has nothing to do with "als".

bearded

Standard Italian
    300 Jahre" is a prepositional object. It takes the case of the preposition:
    That is true. On the contrary, in the phrase ''nach einem mehr als 600 Jahre alten Rezept'', I believe that ''600 Jahre'' is not a prepositional object. The preposition 'nach' governs ''einem...alten Rezept''(dative), while mehr als 600 Jahre is an adverbial phrase in the accusative case (accusative of measure) replying to the question wie alt?
    The ''mehr als'' part does not change the case: wie alt bist du? 20 Jahre alt /mehr als 20 Jahre alt ('als' is just a comparative conjunction). Demiurg is right: the accusative 'Jahre' has nothing to do with 'als'.

berndf

German (Germany)
    I agree with you, BM. In the first sentence it is an adverbial accusative. Mehr als 600 Jahre is an attributive adverbial within the (dative) adjective phrase mehr als 600 Jahre alten.

In the second sentence mehr als 300 Jahren is indeed a dative prepositional object governed by vor. The choice of cases, as we all agree, has nothing to do with als.

Last edited:

bearded

Standard Italian
    I think another way of saying "mehr als 600 Jahre" is "über 600 Jahre".
    That is correct. But the phrase in question, if über replaces mehr als, would become nach einem über 600 Jahre alten Rezept. In this construction, I would be uncertain whether the accusative 'Jahre' is still governed by 'alten' as before (I suppose so) or by 'über'.
    The expression with 'mehr als' is clearer in my opinion.

< Previous | Next >