Mein Vater ist (von Beruf) Arbeiter (von Beruf).// ist Arbeiter.

marcogaiotto

Italian
Mein Vater ist von Beruf Arbeiter.
Mein Vater ist Arbeiter von Beruf.
Mein Vater ist Arbeiter.

Hello! Can you tell me if the three sentences are correct from a grammar point of view? Thanks a lot in advance!

• Hutschi

Hi, it depends a little bit on context whether it is semantically correct.

Usually "Arbeiter" is not a "Beruf" in the literal sense.
    Beruf (in a strict sense) is "Schlosser", "Klempner", "IT-Facharbeiterin", "Ärztin", there are much more.

Mein Vater ist von Beruf Arbeiter. :tick:
    Mein Vater ist Arbeiter von Beruf. :tick:

You can use both sentences, and they are grammatically correct, if you only consider syntax.
    It is more complicate if you consider the semantical part of grammar.
    "Arbeiter" is used in the first sentences as a kind of coll. usage or in metaphorical sense, also it may be used in a polemic sense. Duden explains meaning 2: Duden | Beruf | Rechtschreibung, Bedeutung, Definition, Synonyme, Herkunft
    1. (gehoben veraltend) Berufung, innere Bestimmung

I would prefer usually the last sentence: Mein Vater ist Arbeiter.:tick:

This is: I cannot learn a profession "Arbeiter", but I can become "Arbeiter" when I learn a profession like "Klempner", "Schlosser", "Chemikerin" etc.
    Professor or Ärztin is not belonging to "Arbeiter". It may belong to "Arbeitnehmer".

Schlabberlatz

German - Germany
    correct from a grammar point of view?
    I agree that the sentences are correct from a grammar point of view. But in real life, only the third one should be used, at least in my opinion. "Arbeiter" is not the name of a "Beruf". It’s a more general term. You could say, for example, "Mein Vater ist Rechtsanwalt von Beruf".

Edit: Crossed with Hutschi.

HilfswilligerGenosse

German, High German
    Mein Vater ist von Beruf Arbeiter.
    Mein Vater ist Arbeiter von Beruf.
    Mein Vater ist Arbeiter.

Hello! Can you tell me if the three sentences are correct from a grammar point of view? Thanks a lot in advance!
    Grammatically, yes, all three sentences are correct. But "von Beruf Arbeiter"/"Arbeiter von Beruf" doesn't make much sense - would you call somebody a "worker" in English?

The third sentence does make sense, and it means "My father is a worker/from the working class/a member of the proletariat."

< Previous | Next >