.... melts to a golden yellow liquid

< Previous | Next >

Edgardg

Polish, Poland
Hi,

is this sentence correct: "The sulphur melts to a golden yellow liquid". Does the sentence need an article?

Thank You

• chesty

english
    Hello.

"The sulphur melts to a golden yellow liquid" sounds perfect to me. Where would you put the article?

Macsito

US
    French - France
    I wouldn't put "The" if you want to generalize about sulphur. If however, your sentence follows another talking about sulphur, and that because of a certain chemical reaction it becomes a liquid, then yes, I would use "the sulphur". Does this make any sense?

Edgardg

Polish, Poland
    Hi Chesty,

I've already put the article before "golden", but then I thought that liquid is uncountable, so perhaps I should cross it out :confused:.

Kelly B

USA English
    The article a is necessary here.
    Whether the is necessary depends on the context. If you are talking about what happens to various elements or chemicals, for example, it should be removed:
    Nitrogen sublimates.
    Suphur melts.
    Carbon does blahblahblah.

If you are specifying the sulphur with respect to something else, then the article is required:
    When you heat a solution of sulphur and some other stuff, the sulphur melts and the other stuff evaporates.

dwipper

U.S. English
    I might also suggest into rather than to. This might just be my preference, but I have always thought into should be used for form changes like melting.

< Previous | Next >