memory acknowledgment

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
What does "memory acknowledgment" mean? An acknowledgement dedicated to memory?

Thanks in advance

In sociology and psychology, mass hysteria (also known as collective hysteria, group hysteria, or collective obsessional behavior) is a phenomenon that transmits collective illusions of threats, whether real or imaginary, through a population in society as a result of rumors and fear (memory acknowledgment).

-Wiki

Source

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    What does "memory acknowledgment" mean? An acknowledgement dedicated to memory?
    No.

"(Memory Acknowledgement)" is in apposition to the previous clause and appears to be the technical name given to "threats, whether real or imaginary, [that are transmitted] through a population in society as a result of rumors and fear"

jmichaelm

English - US
    I assumed they meant "fear" = "memory acknowledgement". In that sense fear is an acknowledgement of (probably negative) memories triggered by new experiences.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    No.

"(Memory Acknowledgement)" is in apposition to the previous clause and appears to be the technical name given to "threats, whether real or imaginary, [that are transmitted] through a population in society as a result of rumors and fear"
    Sorry I failed to understand you.

Why did it need such apposition? Can it be removed?

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    I assumed they meant "fear" = "memory acknowledgement". In that sense fear is an acknowledgement of (probably negative) memories triggered by new experiences.
    It is very clear. But it also appears to be weird. Why not remove it? Without it it seems nothing lost.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Your source, which you should have given, is Mass hysteria - Wikipedia

I had a look for "memory acknowledgement" on the internet and in the papers that are referenced in Wikipedia - I found nothing. There is a Chinese version of the Wikipedia page that you quoted - Here. It may help you understand.

The terms makes no sense to me either.

As a guess, perhaps the writer was talking about stereotypical fears and rumors and suspicions about other groups of people having been passed down from generation to generation and so still surviving to the present day.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    Your source, which you should have given, is Mass hysteria - Wikipedia

I had a look for "memory acknowledgement" on the internet and in the papers that are referenced in Wikipedia - I found nothing. There is a Chinese version of the Wikipedia page that you quoted - Here. It may help you understand.
    The Chinese version is obtained through the translation of the Wiki English version. It simply picked up very few passages to translate and the translator avoided translating "memory acknowledgement" because, I believe, s/he didn't understand the meaning of it.

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    The terms makes no sense to me either.

As a guess, perhaps the writer was talking about stereotypical fears and rumors and suspicions about other groups of people having been passed down from generation to generation and so still surviving to the present day.
    I agree.

< Previous | Next >