men came with punch

KGregoryA

Hello everybody, I hope you are all OK and manage to escape the virus and can spare me a few minutes.
Two ladies meet after a long time, they went to school together, now they have families. They sit in a restaurant, speak, eat, drink. One of them begins telling her story… the following is a citation:

(she) continued in this vein through most of the main course. Men came with punch, they came with punch. Her glass was never half empty or half filled but always filling. Men came with punch

Can you explain to me, what is this story about men that came with the punch? (from “NW” by Zadie Smith).
Thanks in advance

• MrMuselk

English - South East England
    Well, it’s simply that men came with punch (which in case you didn’t know, is a drink).

KGregoryA

Well, it’s simply that men came with punch (which in case you didn’t know, is a drink).
    Well I know what is punch, I simply do not understand what is happening: two woman are sitting in a restaurant, they order punch, drink it, and suddenly "men came with punch". Some men from the next table also ordered punch?

MrMuselk

English - South East England
    No, it’s probably the waiters, because she ordered a lot of punch.

< Previous | Next >