mentalist

fadeout32811!!!

french
Hi,

I am watching "The Great British Bake off" and there are lines that I don't understand.
In a scene, when one of the participants is describing about about the other participant, when the other participant hears it and she say,

"I think that's a compliment. I reckon it's better to be a mentalist than boring"

I don't understand why she suddenly says "mentalist".
Would someone explain please?

Thank you very much!

• fadeout32811!!!

french
    The first participant says that the other participant takes everything to another completely different level and it goes to planet Frances, (the other participant's name) where nobody can hitch a ride to.

Thanks!

suzi br

English / England
    It would appear the they are trading insults in some way.

Person B (I reckon it's better to be a mentalist than boring) is accusing person A of being boring.
    Person A might (or might not) have directly called person B "a mentalist" - it is quite possible that person B is claiming that name for herself and her main point is to call the other one boring (and to say she is happy to be different).

Uncle Jack

British English
    'Mentallist' is a new informal usage in British English meaning one who is mad (metaphorically). It is usually used in a jocular, positive way.

< Previous | Next >