menu 2 , 3 services [sic]

wendyredredrobin

English UK
Hi all, I feel a bit stupid asking this, but didn't entirely understand a similar post, so am asking again. In this sentence:
"Disponibles de 12h à 17h, en menu 2 services ou en menu 3 services, vous avez le choix entre 4 entrées et 5 plats" are we talking about "2 services" or "2 courses"? :(

• AnnieF

English - British
    I agree with Itsi. You have the choice of a two-course meal or a three-course meal; in both cases, you can make your selection from a list of 4 starters and 5 mains.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    2 or 3-sitting menus
    Wouldn't that possibly suggest that there are set times for customers to come and eat the meals? E.g., a 12:30 sitting and a 2:00 sitting.

In AE we call that a *prix-fixe menu with a choice of two or three courses. (*flat price for the whole meal), vs. à la carte (choose whatever you want from the menu and get charged for each dish you order).

wendyredredrobin

English UK
    Oh dear, am totally confused now. Anyway, it was v short so have sent it to the client with "sittings" as the translation of "services", he seems happy...

AnnieF

English - British
    But if your client is French, he might not be aware of the distinction. Definitely "courses" not "sittings" in my humble opinion ...

wendyredredrobin

English UK
    Yes, I know, I'm not stupid. But the translation has been sent to the client via a platform, I no longer have any way of contacting him.

Blougouz

french-France
    Un Menu deux services (2 plats)= two courses menu

Le restaurant fait deux services à midi= two sittings at lunch time

Bon’ap’!

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    Hello wendyredrobin (member participant above now chiming in here as a moderator),

You have now created an entry for the enhancement of the WR Dictionary by virtue of this discussion.

But maybe you missed that our French-English dictionary does have this entry under the keyword service:

service nm (Restauration : temps, passage) (meals served) service n
    Le midi, il n'y a qu'un service dans ce restaurant, mais deux le soir.
    At lunchtime, there is only one service in this restaurant, but there are two in the evening.
    Personally I call that a sitting, whereas the context of your question suggests that the author's intention in your text, saying « menu deux, trois services », may have been to mean course--a two-course, three-course meal.

(To me, that is normally plat in French: deux plats, trois plats, etc.)

Nevertheless, whenever you think a key word or expression is missing from the WR Dictionary that should be there (or you see an error or misinterpretation in an existing entry), just click on Suggestions on that dictionary page, which takes you to the Contact Us page...
    ...and on that page, click on:

Report errors in the dictionary
    Report an Error page
    The best way to do it is to go to the page with the error,
    then click the "Report an error" link below the translations.
    This will bring you to the page with the correct details filled in.​

WRF owner Mike Kellogg has another team that manages the WR Dictionaries--this is not done the moderator team.

wildan1, FR-EN Moderator

wendyredredrobin

English UK
    Hi wildan 1, thank you so much. I had seen it as "service" in the English sense, but "course" was also a possibility, but since I didn't find it, I went for "sitting"...

Blougouz

french-France
    Un Menu deux services (2 plats)= two courses menu

Le restaurant fait deux services à midi= two sittings at lunch time
    Hi @wildan1 ! Thank you for your suggestions of adding this in the WR! But I do agree with @wendyredredrobin that both meanings should be mentioned...
    In France, and a lot of other countries, dishes are served one after the others, also there is a difference between « plats » and « desserts ».
    So a two « services » (courses) can be a starter, following by a dessert. The apéritif, café or café gourmand are not considered as « services ».

Of course « service » is applied to tables or clients: sittings.

And also to the waiters: je finis mon service à 15h. Mon collègue prendra son service à 18:30.

wendyredredrobin

English UK
    Just to say thank you once again everyone, and the client assigned me another translation so I was able to give him the correct translation!