Merchandise manager/merchandising manager

< Previous | Next >

Johnny519

Mandarin
Merchandise manager/merchandising manager <-----Edited to add topic to post.----->

I want to know if the former one is more common than the latter? or both are common and mean the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please give us the complete sentence win which you plan to use the phrase, with some context that will help us understand the intended meaning, so we can give you better answers.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    What does this manager do? What kind of business do they work for? And so on. The title chosen will depend on what the job is, and on the business itself.

Johnny519

Mandarin
    He works in retailing industry(Walmart,Target,Amazon,etc.), he decides what products to sell(purchase) to the customers, and what products to be put on the promotion list, and what kind of promotion activity to push the sales.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I call what that person does 'merchandising', which would make the title 'merchandising manager.'

EducationPortal.com has a job description that agrees with me; :)
    Merchandising Manager: Job Description, Requirements & Career Info
    "Merchandising managers, often known as purchasing managers or buyers, are retail professionals who select the goods sold in stores."

A merchandise manager keeps track of the stock and makes sure that it is where it is needed at the right time. (See the job description on snagajob.com.)

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    I agree with Cagey's distinction between "merchandising" and "merchandise". I also agree that 'Merchandising Manager' fits the activities Johnny has described in #5.

But I differ regarding the EducationPortal.com statement that merchandising managers are often known as purchasing managers or buyers. This may be an AmE/BrE difference. In my experience (which seems to be supported by a number of UK ads I've seen), a merchandising manager's responsibilities largely cover the selling aspect of retail activities (including pricing, promotion, presentation, etc) as well as decisions on what the product range should be; but they don't usually include the actual role of purchasing, which is a different function with a different skill-set.

A merchandising manager's role, as I know it, forms a bridge between the buyers on the one hand and the front-line sales people on the other. But as I said, there may be an AmE/BrE difference.

Ws:)

< Previous | Next >