Merge into a crowd

kevinfinger

Chinese
Hello everyone,

I have a question about the word "merge." Is is okay to say "(someone) merge into a crowd ?" For instance, "He is so friendly that he can merge into the crowd easily." Does the sentence make sense? If not, what is the right way to use the word?

(This is a personal question so no context is available.)

Thank you.

• boozer

Bulgarian
    The thing is, 'merge into the crowd' gives me the impression that the person becomes, so to speak, 'invisible', indistinguishable from the crowd.

I suppose I would be more likely to say that he mixes with people easily, that he is sociable or something like that...

Procol

British English
    Hi
    I think that "merge" should be used followed by "with", one team merges with another or one company merges with another. I personally have never heard "merge into"...

Wordnip

British English
    No, your sentence does not make sense. As already pointed out, to merge with a crowd means to mingle in such a way as to be unobtrusive; not be distinguishable from the rest.

What you probably want to say is that he mixes well with a crowd (socially). There are many ways of saying this and, as often is the case, the particular context will influence one's choice.

< Previous | Next >