merge of /n/ and /l/

cheshire

Japanese
Is it true that some portion of Chinese speakers tend to mix up the sounds of "L" and "N"?

I've read Cantonese tend to replace "N" with "L" for example they say "lei" for the 普通話 word 你 (ni). I don't know if they replace ALL the N sounds by L. (Do they?:confused: )

Back to 普通話, in fact I'm guessing Chinese tend to see the particles 了 [了 at the end of a clause]and 呢 as ones that can be used interchaneably.

What do you think?

• gao_yixing

Chinese
    Well...That's really a good point.
    It's true that many Chinese speaker mix up the sounds of "l" and "n". Not only the people in Guangdong, but people in Fujian, Sichuan, Hunan and so on may have this problem. That's the result of their dialects.
    If one has difficullty in pronouncing these, he/she is likely to pronounce every character in this way.
    Sometimes it could make confusion. When they call Henan(河南). They will pronouce something like He Lan(荷兰,the Netherlands).
    了 and 呢 sometimes are interchangeable. But....mostly, they are a bit different. Generally, 了 isnt' used in questions. But that differs in different dialect zones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charley Mao

Nanjing China
    gao yixing:
    If you come to Nanjing you will find lot of poeple in Nanjing mix up the sounds of "L" and "N".
    Some people say南京 (Lanjing)

cheshire

Japanese
    That's interesting!
    I didn't know that 上海話 and 南京話 are so different, considering the distance.
    But strange, I have never heard the word 南京話, maybe there is other words for that. How do you say?

eastlife

Chinese/China
    南京话 and 上海话 are very much different. I was born in Nanjing, and now live in Shanghai. I cannot understand what local Shanghainese speak.

here goes some 南京话:
    "不要烦唻!" don't worry,man
    "啊晓得啊?" understand?
    "蛮摆的!" awesome!

gao_yixing

Chinese
    That's interesting!
    I didn't know that 上海話 and 南京話 are so different, considering the distance.
    But strange, I have never heard the word 南京話, maybe there is other words for that. How do you say?

Both of them are branches of Wu. But they are very different.
    I can't understand what Nanjing people say, either.
    I can't even understand what suburban Shanghai people say. They can't understand each other, too. You know, in Shanghai, there are more than 20 kinds of dialects. Some of them are very different.

GregHamburg

Germany, German
    A typical Southen Chinese pronounciation, N and L, connection and collection

Its interesting that Northern Vietnamese have the same pronounciation replace ment of "N" with "L". So they pronounce their capital as "Ha Loi" and the name of their Country as if it was written "Viet Lam".

Greg