Merry Christmas and warm wishes [seasonal greetings: subject pronoun?]

< Previous | Next >

kyotan

Japanese 標準語
Every staff member has to write and post a seasonal greeting message for each other on a group's web page. It's just a web page for the internal use, not for anyone outside the group to see.

I am going to write this sentence below, but I am not sure if it is appropriate or not. I am not sure if it's missing any essential parts such as subject pronoun.

"Merry Christmas and warm wishes for a wonderful holiday season and a very Happy New Year!"

I've looked through the internet for good messages, but I couldn't tell whether a message that you send via email or share with your co-workers should be different from the messages printed on greeting cards sold in stores. Many of the messages I found on the internet didn't have the subject such as "You" in them and started with "May". I think the writing style for seasonal greetings is different from the ordinary writing style, and it is something I am not familiar with.

Thank you.

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    I'm not sure how a sentence starting with "May" wouldn't have "you" in it, but that's not really the question. Your message is fine - greetings like this do not follow the usual rules for sentence structure.

In fact there are "missing" parts which are understood :
    [May you have a/I wish you a] Merry Christmas and [please accept my] warm wishes...

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I am going to write this sentence below, but I am not sure if it is appropriate or not. I am not sure if it's missing any essential parts such as subject pronoun.

"Merry Christmas and warm wishes for a wonderful holiday season and a very Happy New Year!"
    It's not missing anything, Kyotan. In the US, it would be considered perfect. :thumbsup::)

< Previous | Next >