mess/screw/fool/f*** around

• te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Antonio said:
    Hi Group,

The following phrasal verbs, they all mean the same thing, or they have their differences in meanings?
    First of all...Please no one jump down my throat for answering....:eek:
    Antonio;
    Mess and fool around are not as harsh as the others..they can have sexual overtones or not...
    To screw --is a little harsher..but can mean both..to have fun or to have sex..
    and F**k--is harsher yet...usually said when talking about having sex..but can also mean to have fun...
    te gato;)

DDT

Italy - Italian
    Antonio,

You might have noticed that there's a sticky at the top of every forum (including this one).
    The sticky is about rules. You're not a new comer so that I'm pretty amazed at the title you posted for this thread. I invite you to avoid the use of terms which could hurt some members' feelings.

Thanks,

DDT

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish
    Hey DDT no problem man, we're all here to learn. Thank you for censored that for me. I'II always keep that in mind, that everytime I post a swear word that I don't know and I wanna know. I'II censor myself to not hurt someone's feelings or to not be offended by the or my post.

Anyway moving on, te gato, mentioned that is phrasal verbs mean to have sex and to have fun. Can someone please, using this phrasal verbs, give me an example for to have fun.

By the way, their are other synonymous to use this phrasal verb with the same meaning or not? Please let me know, if there are more.

te gato

Antonio said:
    Hey DDT no problem man, we're all here to learn. Thank you for censored that for me. I'II always keep that in mind, that everytime I post a swear word that I don't know and I wanna know. I'II censor myself to not hurt someone's feelings or to not be offended by the or my post.

Anyway moving on, te gato, mentioned that is phrasal verbs mean to have sex and to have fun. Can someone please, using this phrasal verbs, give me an example for to have fun.

By the way, their are other synonymous to use this phrasal verb with the same meaning or not? Please let me know, if there are more.
    Hi Antonio;

Sentences....
    "Want to mess around with the football?"
    "Lets go fool around with the football."
    "After school today let's screw around with the football."
    "If you have time later let's f**k around with the football."

There are a lot of synonymous for fun.....
    Main Entry: funPart of Speech: nounDefinition: amusementSynonyms: absurdity, ball, big time, blast, buffoonery, celebration, cheer, clowning, distraction, diversion, enjoyment, entertainment, escapade, festivity, foolery, frolic, gaiety, gambol, game, good time, grins, high jinks, holiday, horseplay, jesting, jocularity, joke, joking, jollity, joy, junketing, laughter, merriment, merrymaking, mirth, nonsense, pastime, picnic, play, playfulness, pleasure, recreation, rejoicing, relaxation, riot, romp, romping, solace, sport, tomfoolery, treat, whoopee

te gato;)

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish
    Thank te gato, but I mean synonymous similar to this phrasal verbs, are there more in English or only this ones that I posted in this thread?

I remember one day, I was eating pizza with a friend, and the pizza was too hot, that the guy who served the pizza said to me "No fooling around" what was he traying to imply?

te gato

Antonio said:
    Thank te gato, but I mean synonymous similar to this phrasal verbs, are there more in English or only this ones that I posted in this thread?

I remember one day, I was eating pizza with a friend, and the pizza was too hot, that the guy who served the pizza said to me "No fooling around" what was he traying to imply?
    Antonio;
    First of all..sorry.
    Second..He was telling you to BEHAVE!!!--"to be good"
    I can't think of any right now...
    I will keep thinking and looking...
    te gato;)

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish
    te gato, thank you for all your answers, I really appreaciate that. I know that I made a huge mistake, that why, I said to DDT sorry, and it won't happend again, I promise, and take my word for it, I'II censored all the posts, that include swear words and so on.

Sorry for that again, if you got offended, my apoloigies to you also. If you have more synonymous of this phrasal verbs or if you know the meaning of what I posted above, please let me know.

te gato

Antonio said:
    te gato, thank you for all your answers, I really appreaciate that. I know that I made a huge mistake, that why, I said to DDT sorry, and it won't happend again, I promise, and take my word for it, I'II censored all the posts, that include swear words and so on.

Sorry for that again, if you got offended, my apoloigies to you also. If you have more synonymous of this phrasal verbs or if you know the meaning of what I posted above, please let me know.
    Antonio;
    It ok..
    I don't offend that easy..
    te gato;)

gaer

US-English
    Antonio said:
    Hi Group,

The following phrasal verbs, they all mean the same thing, or they have their differences in meanings?
    Antonio, I don't think you are getting the "big picture" here. :)

What is it that you don't understand about the concept of "swear words"?

There are words we don't say in a situation that involves people we don't know. We are especially careful around children. Two phrases may mean the same thing. That does not mean that you can use both of them in any situation.

Surely the same thing must be true in Mexico. Can English be so different?

You keep asking about swear words, and we keep trying to patiently explain to you that words like f--- and s--- are a PROBLEM here. Let me make something plain. I use these words a LOT. But I'm very careful about when and where.

I'm a teacher. If I said to a student, "Why are you f---ing around", I would be fired.

You can get away with course language when you are with friends, especially with other guys. You can't use the same language you use when you go drinking with your buddies when you are talking to people who have just come out of a church. This is just common sense.

I don't mean to be harsh, but you are going to continue to frustrate many people if you don't understand the difference between what things MEAN and where they can be SAID. :)

Gaer

Sharon

United States, English
    Antonio,

These words can also mean to tinker with something. Hmm...sort of like to take it apart, to disturb it, or to damage it in some way.

Don't mess around with the wires behind the television.
    Don't screw around with an engine if you don't know what you're doing.
    Don't fool around with fallen electrical wires.
    Ok, I will let you drive it, but don't f*** around with my new car!! :p

:)

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish
    Gaer, take it easy, as I was saying previuosly in my last post. I'm very sorry that people got offend by this thread. DDT help me out to censored part of the F Word, I'm really sorry about that, I promise that I'II censored every swear words that I post from now on, and take my word for it.

But as you know, I gotta learn this words, is necessarily and helpful in some situations. That doesn't mean, I'm gonna say it all the time, only when is necessarily to use it, in the right time and in the right place. My main question was this, is there in English more phrasal verbs that have the same meaning or not?

Sharon

United States, English
    (Sigh.)
    Yes, there are, but they are all rude. I don't think anyone easily offended would have read this far. I don't think these are any words a twelve year old wouldn't know, so there is also:

farting around
    dicking around
    pissing around

I can't think of any others.

gaer

US-English
    Antonio said:
    Gaer, take it easy, as I was saying previuosly in my last post. I'm very sorry that people got offend by this thread. DDT helped me out to censor part of the F Word, I'm really sorry about that, I promise that I'II censor every swear word that I post from now on, and take my word for it.

But as you know, I gotta learn this word, it is necessarily and helpful in some situations. That doesn't mean, I'm gonna say it all the time, only when it is necessarily to use it, in the right time and in the right place. My main question was this, is there in English more phrasal verbs that have the same meaning or not?
    Antonio, I AGREE that it is necessary to find out what things mean. The problem with swear words is a complicated one.

I'm also struggling to learn to write German better. I pointed out some mistakes (above) because I REALLY think you should spend more time on certain basics of grammar and less time learning about idioms.

Here is what I would recommend, although you may disagree. Learn what things mean, when you read them and when you hear them, but don't USE complicated, tricky slang until you speak English well. No one but a complete fool will ever criticise you for speaking "too well". Then, if you become really fluent, you can start using more and more slang.

My point was that you can save yourself a lot of time if you understand that words like darn and damn, for instance, have the same meaning. If you just memorize such pairs and also memorize WHICH ONE is dangerous to use, you can save yourself a lot of headaches and even more embarrassment

You also need to know that some words are considered worse than others.

And one more time, I want to make something clear. PERSONALLY I think it is totally ridiculous and hypocritical that a word like "freakin' " is considered okay to use, when the meaning is obviously the same as the other word (f---ing). But I don't get to make the rules, and neither do you. So you just have to learn about this.

Does what I just said make sense? :)

Gaer

gaer

US-English
    Sharon said:
    (Sigh.)
    Yes, there are, but they are all rude. I don't think anyone easily offended would have read this far. I don't think there are any words a twelve year old wouldn't know, so there is also:

farting around
    dicking around
    pissing around

I can't think of any others.

Most 12 year-olds know more bad words than WE do! That's the problem. They have to pretend they don't know them, and we have to pretend we don't KNOW that they know them! But I just love it when one of my students goof and use something "bad". My standard reply: "If you use it, I get to use it too, so if you tell you parents on me, I'll tell them YOU said it FIRST!"

Gaer

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish
    gaer, thank you for pointing out my mistakes in grammar. Yes, I do recognize that grammar, in not my stongest part of English. But everytime I write something, for some reason, I make less and less grammatical mistakes. Before I was worst, to be honest with you. But the greatest part, is that, at this point, I'm still learning like you, in the same boat.

As for idioms and slang, well you got many, and you use it a lot all the time. If I don't make the questions, how can I learn? because some vocabulary are not listed in the books. Well, that's why this forum was made, in the first place, because we're all here to learn, made mistakes and native-speakers correct us and viceversa.

Sharon

United States, English
    Gaer, from reading Antonio's posts, I get the feeling that his friends use a lot of complicated, tricky slang. I also know that he watches a lot of movies in order to learn English, and movies are full of... such language! :eek:

Antonio, your English has gotten SO MUCH better, to the point that I have to agree with Gaer. I think you know enough words and phrases to make your meaning clear. I think now is the time to work on spelling and grammar. :)

gaer

US-English
    Antonio said:
    gaer, thank you for pointing out my mistakes in grammar. Yes, I do recognize that grammar is not my stongest part of English. But everytime I write something, for some reason, I make less and less grammatical mistakes.
    That paragraph was very good! Only one typo and an extra comma.

You are fairly fluent, and that is the most important thing. I agree that the best thing you can do is to continue writing, as much as possible. If you add "please correct my mistakes", people will give you more help. Since you have not added that, I won't make corrections again.
    Before I was worse, to be honest with you. But the greatest part, is that, at this point, I'm still learning like you, in the same boat.
    Absolutely. I would NEVER discourage anyone from trying. And I would never discourage anyone from asking questions. But some people don't always listen to the answers before they ask MORE questions. :)
    As for idioms and slang, well you have many, and you use them a lot all the time. If I don't ask questions, how can I learn? Because some vocabulary are not listed in the books.
    I agree, but I will repeat that it is necessary to understand them. It is not necessary to USE them. And it's dangerious to do so until you know what you're doing. Trust me. There is nothing more embarrassing than trying to sound "cool" when you end up saying something insulting, by mistake.

This is why ALL of us are warning you to be careful. And that is why I tried to stress that WHAT SOMETHING MEANS is not always as important as WHO IT OFFENDS! :)

As for idioms, I don't know more than a few words in Spanish, but German has just as many idioms as English, so I'll bet YOU have as many as we do. :)

Gaer

te gato

Hi All;

I think that a lot of problems start when trying to Understand these types of words...
    Yes they are swear words...and usually used for slang sayings..and the hard thing to do is give a "True" definition for slang terms...
    One city might differ in their slang sayings from another...
    then add the wonderful world of "Drug slang"...
    mix it all up and you end up with a "F**king mess that you can't screw or fool around with...

te gato;)

Antonio

Mexico/Spanish
    Sharon and Gaer, thank you for all your comments. I'II work on my grammar from now on, but if I make a few mistakes, I won't bother if you correct the few mistakes that I made, because as I was saying previosly, we're all here to learn in the first place.

Gaer, to answer your question about idioms, I honestly think that English and Spanish have a lot of idioms in common, of course, a few of them change a bit. But in most of the cases, their are pretty much the same thing, and I feel identify with the lenguage, because I feel confortable using it. Sometimes I feel, like I'm talking in Spanish instead of English.

As for German, I understand that German and English are pretty similar in grammar and pronunciation. So I think, that the real reason why Germans don't have accent when they talk in English is because of their own lenguage. As simple as that, for French people is the other way around and you can still feel their accent but for German people in most of the cases not.

gaer

US-English
    Antonio said:
    Sharon and Gaer, thank you for all your comments. I'II work on my grammar from now on, but if I make a few mistakes, I won't bother if you correct the few mistakes that I made, because as I was saying previosly, we're all here to learn in the first place.

Gaer, to answer your question about idioms, I honestly think that English and Spanish have a lot of idioms in common, of course, a few of them change a bit. But in most of the cases, their are pretty much the same thing, and I feel identify with the lenguage, because I feel confortable using it. Sometimes I feel, like I'm talking in Spanish instead of English.

As for German, I understand that German and English are pretty similar in grammar and pronunciation. So I think, that the real reason why Germans don't have accent when they talk in English is because of their own lenguage. As simple as that, for French people is the other way around and you can still feel their accent but for German people in most of the cases not.
    I assure you Germans have accents just as much as people who grow up speaking only French or Spanish!

At any rate, I encourage you to keep writing. I think you are improving, and as you say, we are all here to learn. :)

Gaer

Nywoe

Canada: English and French
    Just to add my two cents worth :)

I agree that grammar is primordial, but sometimes you just need to be aware of the slang. One way to check the current meaning of those expressions is on www.urbandictionary.com , where there are many meanings for a lot of slang.

Hope it helps :)

N.

mzsweeett

USA
    USA, American English
    Antonio,
    Dear are you looking for more phrases that match "fooling around" etc? I agree with GAER in that you do not seem to understand that even though these phrases are similiar in some respects they can't be used loosely. I do swear also but not in mixed company. :cool:
    You could say something like " Hey, let's go horse around with the football for awhile", or " let's go hang out", or "let's all chill out" These are all similiar phrases and much more acceptable in in mixed company. EL GATO was very clear in his definitions of the phrases and their connotations as well. :thumbsup:
    Yes, we are here to help and help we will. I also do not take offense very easily. It's one thing to say something knowingly, another ignorantly.

Have a wonderful day !! :D :D :D

mzsweeett

USA
    USA, American English
    Antonio said:

Antonio dear,

I am an American girl, I took, German for 6 years in school, also 2 years of Latin. I am learning Italian and Spanish. I have found that all languages ( the ones I have been exposed to) have dialects, variations in accents, and their own slang. Idioms etc are all a part of it. Believe me German is not the most easy of languages. The sentences do differ in a very substantial way. I have found that Spanish and Italian are the easiest to learn. I think you are doing very well. If you have need of anything please don't think it is a bother for us. I (and I am sure the others here too) will all help you the best we can. I know I need LOTS of help in my Italian. :p :p :p

< Previous | Next >