message of the day

< Previous | Next >

winemonkey

Japanese
Hi

I can't figure out the meaning of "message of the day" in the following sentence:

Three Mile Island would become one of the last great domestic emergencies the media covered before the age of cable news, the concept of the "message of the day," the reinvention of the word "spin," and the notion that "mainstream media" could be a slur.
(Blur: How to Know What's True in the Age of Information Overload/Bill Kovach and Tom Rosenstiel)

I guessed "message of the day" is something anchormen express their opinions about today's news, but I'm not sure.
I'd like to know how the concept of the message of the day is considered in US.

Thank you in advance for your help.

• owlman5

English-US
    "The message of the day" seems to refer to one of a number of things that this writer doesn't like about the way news is currently reported. Though I don't recall seeing any paper promoting any "message of the day", I suppose it would refer to some slogan or message that was being promoted in some media channel.

kmoua809

English - American
    Message of the day is just a term used to sum things up, such as the moral of the story or the lesson. For example, he ate moldy bread. Today's message of the day: Don't eat moldy bread!

< Previous | Next >