metal and plastic will degrade slightly

sb70012

The advantage of using wood over metal and plastic is that both metal and plastic will degrade slightly while in the honey but wood lasts longer and does not chemically harm the honey in any way, this is why wooden honey dippers have been used for generations.

self-made (talking about a wooden honey dipper)

Hi,
Is the word "degrade" fine in my context?

Thank you.

• london calling

UK English
    Metal and plastic certainly degrade, but I'm not quite sure what you mean. I happen to have a wooden honey dipper but wouldn't think twice about using a metal or plastic spoon, which aren't it the honey long enough to degrade...

london calling

UK English
    That's what I don't understand. If I use metal or plastic spoons instead of my wooden honey dripper they don't degrade as they're not in contact long enough with the honey, so I don't get what you're trying to say: I can't see the point you're trying to make.

sb70012

How about "transform"?

The advantage of using wood over metal and plastic is that both metal and plastic will transform slightly but wood lasts longer and does not chemically harm the honey in any way, this is why wooden honey dippers have been used for generations.

Myridon

English - US
    Your sentence in #1 doesn't say anything about harming the honey.
    I have a hard time believing that this is true so even if it is, it sounds like you're making it up. Honey comes in plastic bottles.

AutumnOwl

Swedish, Finnish
    No, neither metal or plastic will be transformed in honey, nor will wood last longer in honey. If you are after a sales pitch for wooden honey dippers, badmouthing metal and plastic spoons is not right way to do it. That wood won't harm/change the taste of honey is not entirely true, that depends on what wood is used, there are woods that will change the taste.
    Correct spelling.

Last edited:

Wordy McWordface

English - SSBE Standard British
    How about "transform"?

The advantage of using wood over metal and plastic is that both metal and plastic will transform slightly but wood lasts longer and does not chemically harm the honey in any way, this is why wooden honey dippers have been used for generations.
    Wood does not last longer than metal or plastic.

The more you fill up your sales pitch with this kind of irrelevant nonsense, the more off-putting it becomes.