'meteor' as a descriptive word

< Previous | Next >

greenish.eve

Polish
Hello;

Let me ask which one(s),
in your view, would be the adequate first adjective in the expression; 'meteor/ meteoric/ meteorite/ meteoritic impact crater'.

I would greatly appreciate any reliable language advice.

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    It's hard to say. I would probably rewrite it. Maybe you can provide some additional context.

greenish.eve

Polish
    Thank you in advance. It's from the info' board. The intro' goes like this:

'Thisunique nature reserve was created inorder to protect 7 meteor impact craters, as well as a part of thevaluable oak-hornbeam forest and its rare undergrowthspecies. Here you will findthe highest hill of glacial origin...'

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    The first two refer to meteor - those don't land on the ground. Once they land, making an impact crater, they are called meteorites. I would choose "meteorite impact crater" if a rewrite were not possible. Can you provide the sentence and context in which you wish to use the expression?

greenish.eve

Polish
    Thank you.
    I've just provided it [as seen above]. Yet, I see the text hasn't been edited properly. Please ignore the five blends that've appeared unnecessarily if you're still willing to support me with the proper adjective.

owlman5

English-US
    Hi, greenish eve.

Julian is right, of course, about the difference between meteors and meteorites. Rocks from space that we find on the surface of the earth are always meteorites.

For some reason, though, "meteor (impact) crater" is the most popular term for those craters. You can certainly use it as many other writers do. Here is a paragraph about the term from a website about geology: "Meteor" is the proper term for the object as it streaks through Earth's atmosphere. "Meteorite" is the term used for the object after it has fallen to Earth's surface. "Meteor crater" is the most common usage for craters produced by a meteor impact.

I took a quick look at Google's results for meteor impact crater. From what I've seen, "meteor crater", "impact crater", and "meteor impact crater" are all in use.

Last edited:

greenish.eve

Polish
    Thank you, Mr. Owlman5.

I appreciate all your expert's comments plus relevant remarks, which made me feel way better this time. :D

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Hi, greenish eve.

Julian is right, of course, about the difference between meteors and meteorites. Rocks from space that we find on the surface of the earth are always meteorites.

For some reason, though, "meteor (impact) crater" is the most popular term for those craters. You can certainly use it as many other writers do. Here is a paragraph about the term from a website about geology: "Meteor" is the proper term for the object as it streaks through Earth's atmosphere. "Meteorite" is the term used for the object after it has fallen to Earth's surface. "Meteor crater" is the most common usage for craters produced by a meteor impact.

I took a quick look at Google's results for meteor impact crater. From what I've seen, "meteor crater", "impact crater", and "meteor impact crater" are all in use.
    Overnight rumination yields the logic tha it can only be called a meteorite after it has landed. That means after the crater has been made. So it is a meteor right up until the instant of the impact. In fact, the instant of impact is the same instant the object changes from meteor to meteorite:D

< Previous | Next >