meticulous and rigorous scholarship

vvujun

Chinese-Mainland
Hi,

A professor gave me a lot of help in revising my paper.

Can I say I benefited quite a lot from your meticulous and rigorous scholarship to him?

Or how can I say that idiomatically and genuinely?

Thanks,
Jun

• Scholiast

Greetings

quite a lot from your meticulous and rigorous scholarship
    As an academic myself, this strikes me as both over- and under-cooked: overcooked, in that scholarship, if it is proper scholarship, is always both "meticulous" and "rigorous"; undercooked, in that "quite a lot" is too reserved.

Why do you not simply say: "I would like to thank you for all the help you have given me; I have learned a great deal from you..." - and then mention a couple of specific points where you have felt the Professor's assistance especially useful?

vvujun

Chinese-Mainland
    Greetings

As an academic myself, this strikes me as both over- and under-cooked: overcooked, in that scholarship, if it is proper scholarship, is always both "meticulous" and "rigorous"; undercooked, in that "quite a lot" is too reserved.

Why do you not simply say: "I would like to thank you for all the help you have given me; I have learned a great deal from you..." - and then mention a couple of specific points where you have felt the Professor's assistance especially useful?
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions, Sir. And nice to meet you here!

The reason I wanted to say that is
    I never expected he would spend a lot of time in revising my paper. So I was moved by the meticulous and rigorous scholarship and learned a lot from that.

Thanks again Sir.
    Jun

< Previous | Next >