metropolitan

faza62

Farsi, Iran
Hi

Regarding "Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority," (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Pier_and_Exposition_Authority) my problem is if metropolitan is here a descriptive term (and which should be translated) or part of the proper noun which should be left untranslated? In other words, does metropolitan refer to Chicago, or simply is part of the proper noun?

And authority is here the corporation referred to in the wikipedia page above?

Thank you

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    "Metropolitan" is part of the name of the entity. "Authority" generally refers to a kind of quasi-governmental corporation or organization.

faza62

Farsi, Iran
    Thank you for your time.

Still my problem exists. Does it refer to the Chicago metropolis, or would it be same had it been in a small city? Did I make myself clear?

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Ah, now I see what you mean. Yes, it refers to the fact that Chicago is a metropolis -- if a similar authority were set up by a very small town, it might be called the "Village Pier and Exposition Authority." But, at the same time, it is not merely descriptive, as you suggest in your first post. The word is part of the official name of the organization.

< Previous | Next >