Mexican--turned him into a Mexican

• Copyright

American English
    One thought from Larry Brown Sports: The likely explanation is that many Mexican fighters are aggressive and stand toe to toe exchanging punches, so it was actually a compliment from McGregor.

There are other supporting references online that characterize Mexicans as aggressive fighters, rather than defensive fighters.

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    I'm thinking not – I don't know much about Mayweather, but he's only won one of his 50 fights in a knockout, which would suggest a tactician rather than a straight-ahead brawler. I think he's more of a defensive player, which he proved to be in the early rounds ... before finally becoming more aggressive and ending the fight. My impression is that McGregor believes that he finally turned Mayweather into a Mexican by getting him out of his defensive stance and making him stand toe-to-toe and fight like a man ... possibly forgetting that Mayweather had won 49 fights with that style, and then 50 when he turned it on McGregor. :)

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    Woke up this morning to find a couple of articles in The Washington Post on the subject.

Here's a relevant paragraph:
    As for his comment Saturday, he had a point about Mayweather’s style, if you believe he was speaking of how boxers, some of whom have come from Mexico, employ an aggressive approach in the ring. Mayweather, known as a defensive fighter, was unusually aggressive in the latter stages of the fight, wearing down McGregor.

And from another article:
    Mayweather, who had just ended his in-ring interview by lauding McGregor’s Irish heritage, appeared perplexed by the remark, which also left the Internet feeling a bit uncomfortable.

I'm not linking the articles because The Washington Post is a subscription newspaper, although they have a certain number of free articles per person per month.

< Previous | Next >