MI - Middle Initial

< Previous | Next >

ccbarbos

English - US & español - Colombia
Hi everyone,

I am translating a form for a company that just like most forms has a section for personal information. It reads:

"Last name, First Name, MI, Gender, Birth Date"

My attempt is:

"Apellido, Primer nombre, Inicial, Sexo, Fecha de nacimiento"

Now, I'm trying to figure out whether "Inicial" by itself is fine or if I have to put "Inicial segundo nombre"?

But most importantly, would anyone happen to know an abbreviation equivalent to this in Spanish?

I think I have mostly seen "Inicial", but if anyone knows an abbreviation, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you all for the help!

• gengo

American English
    This is difficult because the naming convention is different in Spanish-speaking countries, so many people do not have names that follow the pattern of FN-MN-LN. If I were the translator, I would recommend to the client that the form be changed to read just "Nombre completo."

ccbarbos

English - US & español - Colombia
    Thank you as always, gengo!
    This is one of those tough questions, and you are right, in Spanish we do not follow the same pattern, if anything forms usually read "nombres" which includes both first and second names.
    I appreciate your suggestion and I will run it by the client.

marghera

Italian/Spanish(SPA) - bilingual
    Thank you as always, gengo!
    This is one of those tough questions, and you are right, in Spanish we do not follow the same pattern, if anything forms usually read "nombres" which includes both first and second names.
    I appreciate your suggestion and I will run it by the client.
    I'd never heard this expression before. Can you please clarify its origin?
    Thank you
    :)

levmac

British English
    Depends who the audience is I guess. I have Mexican-American friends who do have middle names, but no Spanish people I know have a solid idea of what a middle name really is, let alone what the initial would be!

In Spain, Jose Maria García Lopez would put either "Jose" or "Jose Maria" under nombre and "García" or "García Lopez" as his apellido according to his whims.

I have a middle name, and here in Spain, sometimes people put it in their database as my primer apellido, and sometimes as the second part of my nombre (like the Maria in Jose Maria).

< Previous | Next >