Mi raccomando: giudizio

Pluscuam

Spanish
During his eulogy, Sassoli's son finished his speech saying: "Buona strada, papa. E mi raccomando: giudizio"
I can only come up with "Have a good trip, father. And I beg you: judgement" but I am afraid I am missing completely the point here.
Thanks for your help.

• V. P.

English/Italian bilingual
    During his eulogy, Sassoli's son finished his speech saying: "Buona strada, papa. E mi raccomando: giudizio"
    I can only come up with "Have a good trip, father. And I beg you: judgement" but I am afraid I am missing completely the point here.
    Thanks for your help.
    I'm not sure, but perhaps Sassoli's son used the word 'giudizio' as a synonym of 'saggezza'? So, in English: "Have a good journey dad, and don't forget: 'wisdom'!

MR1492

English -USA
    Thanks for your help.

In contemporary AE, especially if he was trying to be humorous, it might be translated as, "Have a safe journey, Dad. And remember, don't do anything stupid." He might have meant "foolish" but the word "stupid" would have created a punchy ending.

Phil

MR1492

English -USA
    Giudizio here means common sense/good judgement.

Thank you, Paul. As I said, I did not see the eulogy but the translation would depend upon his son's tone of voice, facial expression, and intention. If he was somber and serious, I would use "foolish" as the translation. If he was trying to end on an upbeat note and to, perhaps, invoke his father's sense of humor, he might have used it to mean the equivalent of "stupid."

I only add this to assist the OP in choosing the word most appropriate to what his son said and how it was said.

Phil

HalfTaff

English - UK
    In the WR dictionary I find:

Ti raccomando la massima cautela.
    I recommend the utmost caution.

The title of this thread is "Mi raccomando: giudizio", which is translated as a recommendation for common sense.

Can someone explain to me why "ti" is used in one instance and "mi" in the other?

Thanks in advance.

MR1492

English -USA
    In the WR dictionary I find:

Ti raccomando la massima cautela.
    I recommend the utmost caution.

The title of this thread is "Mi raccomando: giudizio", which is translated as a recommendation for common sense.

Can someone explain to me why "ti" is used in one instance and "mi" in the other?

Thanks in advance.

Could it be that the ones in the WR dictionary are basic statements but mi raccomando is more like "listen to me"? It seems more a directive to someone than a general statement.

Phil

Pietruzzo

Italian
    Those are two different verbs: "raccomandare" and "raccomandarsi".
    The former means "to recommend (something to someone).
    Eg. Ti raccomando di leggere quel post

The latter has no object and basically means "please remember what I'm telling you / I told you" (The closest literal translation I can think of is - I'm putting in a word for myself-)
    Eg. Mi raccomando, leggi quel post!
    Leggi quel post, mi raccomando!

Last edited: