microwave oven - colloquial names

< Previous | Next >

Encolpius

Hungarian
Hello, there is a very nice list of microwave oven in different languages here in Wiktionary, but it is such a long word I bet you use some other short words for it. What do you call "microwave oven" in your colloquial language? Thanks.

Hungarian - mikró
Czech - mikrovlnka
English - microwave
Polish - mikrofala

• Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    There will be those who allege that 'popty (< pobi 'to bake' + 'house') ping' (the English word for a soft, single peal of an alarm bell), is the Welsh 'colloquial' word for a 'microwave oven.'

However, this was a relatively recent coinage by a radio DJ, and as can be seen, is quite nonsensical as it incorporates two separate languages together in its two words. I can not therefore condone this as a true 'Welsh lexical item'.

The 'proper' word is therefore 'popty (or ffwrn < Lat. 'fornax') micro-don', a calque of the English item, with <i> not retaining its usual Welsh value of /ɪ/ but more like /əɪ/.

In Greek microwave oven is «φούρνος μικροκυμάτων» [ˈfur.nɔs mi.krɔ.ciˈma.tɔn] --> oven of-microwaves.
    «Μικροκυμάτων» [mi.krɔ.ciˈma.tɔn] is neuter genitive plural (microwaves') of the noun «μικροκύματα» [mi.krɔˈci.ma.ta] (neut. nom. pl.) --> microwaves.
    Colloquially, we just use the noun in genitive when referring to the oven, we say «ο μικροκυμάτων» [ɔ mi.krɔ.ciˈma.tɔn] --> the (definite article masc. nom. sing.) microwaves' (oven is omitted); the definite article is masculine because oven («φούρνος») is masculine.

nimak

Macedonian
    In Macedonian it is known as микробранова (mikrobránova). Its full name is микробранова печка (mikrobránova péčka).

бран (bran) m. "wave"; -бранова (-branova) adj.f.
    печка (péčka) f. "oven"

< Previous | Next >