Middle class

< Previous | Next >
  • maxiogee

Banned
    English
    None of the classes of the class structure had a 'middle'. There was an upper class which lad a lower end (the somewhat impoverished gentry) and there was an upper end to the lower class (the slightly better skilled labourers).

Lower had no middle or lower.
    Middle had no middle
    Upper had no middle or upper.

These divisions have largely vanished in favour of more discriminating ways of making value judgements about groups of people.

Babegurl

English and USA
    I have only heard of upper class, middle class, and low class.
    I dont know what mid-middle class means.
    well

cip ?
    babegurl

Moderator note:
    Important Announcements: Please Read topic said:
    For the English Only forum, chatspeak and SMS abbreviations are forbidden, other than as topics of discussion. Do not write "u" for "you" etc. Members are required to make their best attempt to write in standard English in this forum.
    I invite you to read the rest of the English forum rules and guidelines here: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=23995
    Thank you.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Statisticians divide the world into groupings which the rest of us do not see, or acknowledge, and I speak with several years background in advertising and marketing, readership and viewership figures and demography behind me.
    What I said earlier should have been prefaced by something to the effect that "Ordinary people saw no "middle" in the upper or lower classes.

Demographers would fine-tune us to Upper-middle-middle and Upper-lower middle. A plague on them all (except any who frequent these forums and are undoubtedly wonderful human beings.)

María Madrid

Banned
    Spanish Spain
    When it comes to translation I'm afraid I have to deliver the original message, not my views on it. I also think that mid-middle sounds stupid, but if they've included that term, which is commonly used in their branch, I'll just have to find the correct expression for that. Thank you for your comments.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    Is what you are translating a recently produced document, María?
    I thought that most researchers had moved away from such broad classifications of the population.

María Madrid

Banned
    Spanish Spain
    Yes, it is, and those terms, whether accurate or not, are still widely used. Any suggestions? What sounds better? mid-middle? middle middle? plain middle?... I've found quite a few middle middle on the net, but I can't make searches on expressions I don't know.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    I'd go with at most three divisions between each of the existing three.
    Upper Upper
    Middle Upper
    Lower Upper

Upper Middle
    Middle Middle
    Lower Middle

Upper Lower
    Middle Lower
    Lower Lower

And after their introduction I'd abridge them. I don't know how closely you have to follow the text but I'd introduce the main classes, say how they are divided and then say something like "for brevity I will be refering to the classes as uU, mU and lU for the Upper class, uM, mM and lM for the Middle class and uL, mL and lL for the Lower class."

I think that this might make it easier for you.

María Madrid

Banned
    Spanish Spain
    Thank you very much.

The document is basically tables with some explanatory text. Obviously I wasn't really willing to write middle middle 15 times!!! But I have to do it at least once. Thank you all very much for your suggestions.

cirrus

UK English
    You will also find social classes defined by a variety of numbers and letters which could well make your job a whole lot easier. Upper comes out as A, middle as B and so on. More details on this link.

My gut feeling is that middle middle is stupid too. I wonder where they got their classifications from - they seem arbitrary to me.

< Previous | Next >