Midtown sax solo

elettrolince

Italia - Italiano
Hi!
I've some doubts about this sentence
[...] rhytms and piano passages underneath a distinctly midtown sax solo [...]

The author is describing a record issued in late 70s, which is a combination of Latin and Soul.
I'm not sure to have fully understood "midtown sax solo".
The meaning of "midwton" is central portion of a city, between uptown and downtown, but here it doesn't make much sense to me.
Unless it's related to an "ordinary", of no excetpional ability, performance - the author is very, very, very "Impressionist"...

What's your opinion?

Thanks!

• TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Very figurative.
    Uptown means the "rich area" "sophisticated" "calm"
    Downtown means "unsophisticated" "wild" "crazy".
    So midtown would mean something in-between "sophisticated" and "wild".
    I'm not expert enough in jazz, but perhaps the difference between some of the classic "New Orleans" groups (wild, exuberant) and perhaps some of Miles Davis' work.
    "sax" = saxophone
    "solo" = playing alone.

This would be impossible for me to render in Italian.

elettrolince

Italia - Italiano
    Thanks a lot, Tim.

I got it: I suspected the nuance you suggest, and your explanation confirms it.
    The phrase is not related to jazz, however, but to a strange hybridation between disco, salsa and other latin rhytms.

In any case, I'll use some word like "ordinary" (ordinario, banale), the author seems to evoke a kind of sound liked by some commuter leading his grey existence in a "decent" neighbourhood...

Really figurative, indeed... but it's quite funny having to deal with such challenges.

(No problems with instruments and other stuff, thanks)

Very figurative.
    Uptown means the "rich area" "sophisticated" "calm"
    Downtown means "unsophisticated" "wild" "crazy".
    So midtown would mean something in-between "sophisticated" and "wild".
    I'm not expert enough in jazz, but perhaps the difference between some of the classic "New Orleans" groups (wild, exuberant) and perhaps some of Miles Davis' work.
    "sax" = saxophone
    "solo" = playing alone.

This would be impossible for me to render in Italian.

< Previous | Next >