miewać

In Polish there is this verb, miewac sie, which translates more or less into 'to have occasionally.' For example, if from to time you have a headache, you can say "Miewam <-> I occasionally have headaches."

Is there a similar verb in English which would render the same meaning?

Last edited:
  • wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    No special verb in English I can think of. But you can use the occasional in a sort of special way with any verb to express that, like this:

I suffer from the occasional headache
    She goes on the occasional diet

ewie

English English
    Nope, I can't think of a verb in English which does that, Majlo. You'll probably have noticed that English is stuffed with adverbs of time (occasionally, normally, routinely, seldom, oftentimes, sporadically etc. etc. etc.) which allow us to pinpoint frequency with a fair degree of accuracy:)

robin74

In Polish there is this verb, miewac sie, which translates more or less into 'to have occasionally.'
    It's not reflexive.
    What you're asking about is miewać.
    Miewać się
    means something different and would translate to to be (as in "Jak się miewasz?" meaning more or less "How are you?")

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    If you use it in the past you can express it using the construction used to, which I think can render pretty well the nuance.

Tom

Last edited: