might as well be done what needs to be done

Meritzias

Turkish
Hello,

Could you please rephrase "might as well be done what needs to be done"? Is it a kind of idiom?

• Meritzias

Turkish
    Source: Last to Die by Arlene Hunt
    Context: There are two brothers. The younger one thinks that they should tell the police the place they found (where many victim are buried), while the elder thinks this will cause the murderer dissappear. But, inspite of himself, the elder one takes his brother to the police station and says "might as well be done what needs to be done". The younger one replies that there are families wondering where their beloved ones and that they deserve an answer.

suzi br

English / England
    Source: Last to Die by Arlene Hunt
    Context: There are two brothers. The younger one thinks that they should tell the police the place they found (where many victim are buried), while the elder thinks this will cause the murderer dissappear. But, inspite of himself, the elder one takes his brother to the police station and says "might as well be done what needs to be done". The younger one replies that there are families wondering where their beloved ones and that they deserve an answer.
    I don't know if these characters are supposed to have a regional language variation where this is a common way of messing with verbs, but it is possible.
    Usually I'd expect to see "We might as well do what has to be done" (or needs to be done). I don't know how to classify the verb usage in your text, but it is not standard.

< Previous | Next >