might as well have set off a bomb

< Previous | Next >

wanabee

Japanese
Dear all,
In third period, Mr. Underwood, our Phys Ed teacher, announced that the boys will be doing a wrestling unit for the next six weeks. If there's one thing most boys in my school are into, it's professional wrestling. So Mr. Underwood might as well have set off a bomb.
(Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney)

Could someone tell me what the bold part mean?

• Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    I assume it means the boys were jumping around the room with excitement. He could be referring to their movements and/or to the amount of noise they produced from that excitement.

wanabee

Japanese
    I assume it means the boys were jumping around the room with excitement. He could be referring to their movements and/or to the amount of noise they produced from that excitement.
    Thank you very much, Franco!
    In that context, what does the "might as well" below mean?
    In third period, Mr. Underwood, our Phys Ed teacher, announced that the boys will be doing a wrestling unit for the next six weeks. If there's one thing most boys in my school are into, it's professional wrestling. So Mr. Underwood might as well have set off a bomb.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    The results he got from his announcement are similar to the results he would have gotten from setting off a bomb.

< Previous | Next >