might be a bit cleaner

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
The sheriff of a small town takes Mulder and Scully to the police station, and takes the body of the dead victim infant out from the usual fridge.
Sheriff: We don't have a lab or a morgue. I've got a room down here, might be a bit cleaner.
The X-Files, episode Home

Am I correct it's this meaning of "might"?

You use might when you are saying emphatically that someone ought to do the thing mentioned, especially when you are annoyed because they have not done it. And while I'm out you might clean up the kitchen...
You might have told me that before!
Thanks.

• Myridon

English - US
    The room down here is possibly cleaner than the refrigerator. Storing the body among leftover food is probably not a forensically sound practice. ;)

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    The room down here is possibly cleaner than the refrigerator. Storing the body among leftover food is probably not a forensically sound practice. ;)
    Just in case if it was not clear: "a room down here" is the place where the agents will examine the body, not the fridge where the body was taken from.

But I didn't understand — do you agree with the definition of "might"?...

Myridon

English - US
    Just in case if it was not clear: "a room down here" is the place where the agents will examine the body, not the fridge where the body was taken from...
    In case it was not clear, the room down here can't be cleaner than the refrigerator if it is the refrigerator. ;)
    No. It's simple possibility. On a second reading, the other room (the one down here) might be cleaner than the room with the refrigerator in it (probably for much the same reason).

Copyright

American English
    I'm a bit confused. You need to store the infant's body in a refrigerator of some sort, so if you take the body out of the refrigerator, I think it's to examine it – you wouldn't move it to an unrefrigerated room to store it.

To me, the sheriff is saying that they don't have a lab or morgue – rooms that would normally be very clean – but "I've got a room down here, might be a bit cleaner" (than the room the refrigerator is in, where they can examine the child's body.

"Down here" can mean "down the hallway," for example.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    I'm a bit confused. You need to store the infant's body in a refrigerator of some sort, so if you take the body out of the refrigerator, I think it's to examine it – you wouldn't move it to an unrefrigerated room to store it.

To me, the sheriff is saying that they don't have a lab or morgue – rooms that would normally be very clean – but "I've got a room down here, might be a bit cleaner" (than the room the refrigerator is in, where they can examine the child's body.

"Down here" can mean "down the hallway," for example.
    I.e., you're agreeing with Myridon's "on a second reading", if I understand correctly?:)

< Previous | Next >